Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me why people are removing the 350 SLK badge from the rear of their cars? Are they ashamed that it is not an SL and want people to think that maybe it is?

I saw two 350s yesterday and they both had the badges removed. Also, in the picture posting at the top of this forum the last picture is of an SLK with the badge removed. I posted a question to the owner as to why he had removed the badge but received no response.

How can the badge be removed without damaging the car and how would one put the badge back on when it comes time to sell/trade it?

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
How do you know it was removed rather than just not fitted in the first place?

I have seen quite a few cars ( non SLK ) without any markings on. I think some people prefer it that way.

How do you know they were 350s perhaps they were 200s. They would be difficult to tell apart with no markings, maybe that is the point, no-one knows you have a 200 instead of a 350, or a BMW 520 instead of a BMW 540 etc.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Some people like the cleaner look; my 98 ML came without the ML320 because I mentioned to the salesman I liked the clean look. I doubt the ones seen could be 200's since all the US models are 350's... [8D][:D][8D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
malibuite - 3/24/2005 11:43 AM

Can someone please tell me why people are removing the 350 SLK badge from the rear of their cars? Are they ashamed that it is not an SL and want people to think that maybe it is?

I saw two 350s yesterday and they both had the badges removed. Also, in the picture posting at the top of this forum the last picture is of an SLK with the badge removed. I posted a question to the owner as to why he had removed the badge but received no response.

How can the badge be removed without damaging the car and how would one put the badge back on when it comes time to sell/trade it?
To de-badge...typically hair dryer or heat gun to soften adhesive and fishing line to "floss" the badge off.

Why de-badge... different answers, IMHO, personally (hatemail incoming?) I think of it as kinda a fetish. Some just don't like any symbols or words on their car. Others what to mislead or confuse (and then get attention by being asked what is it). Others add significant $ for aftermarket kits and don't want to be "associated" with the factory standard models. Finally some real losers re-badge with badges from ebay (i.e. the twit with a Suburban who puts an Escalade badge on).

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Motzkoman - 3/24/2005 6:06 PM

Some people like the cleaner look; my 98 ML came without the ML320 because I mentioned to the salesman I liked the clean look. I doubt the ones seen could be 200's since all the US models are 350's... [8D][:D][8D]
Ah I forgot how wealthy you Americans are [;)] compared to us poor Brits on this side of the water. [:(]

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
I think the American 350s are about the same price as the 200 here, maybe cheaper.
I heard about someone here in London who had a 200 and asked the garage to put a 350 badge on it, which the garage duly did.
It is an option whether to have the car badged or not, it was part of my order form, so its eay to order it "naked".

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
Like Motzkoman said, some people like the clean letter-free look. I didn't do it to deceive people - everyone can tell my car is a 200 because of the kompressor on the sides and the vacuum cleaner sound it makes[:D] I'm sure if I wanted to play that game I could easily stick AMG badges on the back, and make it an SLK20 AMG!

You people overseas do have it pretty good- The 200 costs the equivalent of $75,000 US here!

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Between the high cost of automobiles and the high cost of petrol, I would think that the word bicycle would seem very appealing.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Last time I was pulled over in my non-badged ML320 a couple of years ago, the officer asked me what the car was to write on the written warning. You would think he would just take that information off the registration that he had in his hand...luckily it was a courtesy warning, not a ticket...[:D]

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Did someone mention petrol costs and "high"?
I wouldn't respond but i cant help notice your location in the USA. Just what is "high" over there?
Here £4, which is $7.60 per gallon is high. Hmmmm. I dont know how close US and UK gallons are, but putting that issue to one side....

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
joyfulheart - 3/24/2005 5:09 PM

Did someone mention petrol costs and "high"?
I wouldn't respond but i cant help notice your location in the USA. Just what is "high" over there?
Here £4, which is $7.60 per gallon is high. Hmmmm. I dont know how close US and UK gallons are, but putting that issue to one side....
I just paid $2.65 per gallon for Premium (91 octane)in Malibu but California gas prices tend to be higher than the rest of the country.

·
Registered
SLK230
189 Posts
But in the UK you have those beautiful TVR's. Like the Chimaera for instance. Found some good ones between 17-28K£. That ain't to bad.

1 US Gal. = 0,83 UK Gal.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
My comment about the high cost of petrol was in reference to jono_m's posting of the price of an SLK 350 in Australia. I was refering to the high cost of petrol there, not in the U.S. At its highest, a gallon of gasoline in the U.S. is still a bargain compared to the U.K. and many other places.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
It is indeed a bargain, mega bargain in the US, hence my response. Cheap cars, cheap petrol and generally cheap housing. Then to add insult to injury, better weather, especially in the South. I remember prices at half their current level about 7 years ago. Most of it is tax.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
As said my malibuite, gas is a little more here in CA, but still a bargain compared to other countries. Housing is steep here in the Bay Area as well...BUT, then I get the beautiful surroundings and weather to drive my SLK top down most the time...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you have the AMG pkg and add the rear wing, get a 55 and AMG badges and you have just upgraded your car. 99% would never know and it takes about 3 minutes. They are available on ebay. Have not done but have thought about it.
[:p]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
In order to make an SLK 350 pass for an SLK 55, you need to do a lot more than that. The front bumper on the 55 is different as well as quad exhausts. The only thing worse than someone that tries to make their car look like a more premium model is someone that wears a phony Rollex watch.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think the quad exhaust is pretty lame anyway. Personally have you ever owned a rolex? I have it think they are way over priced for th quality that you get. Mine has been in six times!!!! $1200 Cartier
has never had to go in and its older and 10% of the cost. Some people have more money then brains and they base everything on the price they pay. If that not a posser what is. I just got back from Bankok and I saw all the knock off watches they make. The quality was unreal for a $50 watch vers. 10K for the real one. With my experience with Rolex I would rather have a couple of knock offs and the cash for more mods and other toys. But then again thats me. I tend to go the other way with my vehicles. I take all the badges off. I like the cleaner look and like to have people guessing as to what it is. I looked at the 55 and drove both. Less the a half second quicker to 60 for 15K didn't pencil in my book. Besides its my wifes car and she does have the need for speed. If I want speed I can pull out my super charged Z06.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that anyone should buy a "genuine Rolex". I can well aford one but my $179 Seiko is good enough for me. It keeps time very acurately. That's all I ask from a watch.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
xJagman - 3/25/2005 12:41 PM

I think the quad exhaust is pretty lame anyway. Personally have you ever owned a rolex? I have it think they are way over priced for th quality that you get. Mine has been in six times!!!! $1200 Cartier
has never had to go in and its older and 10% of the cost. Some people have more money then brains and they base everything on the price they pay. If that not a posser what is. I just got back from Bankok and I saw all the knock off watches they make. The quality was unreal for a $50 watch vers. 10K for the real one. With my experience with Rolex I would rather have a couple of knock offs and the cash for more mods and other toys. But then again thats me. I tend to go the other way with my vehicles. I take all the badges off. I like the cleaner look and like to have people guessing as to what it is. I looked at the 55 and drove both. Less the a half second quicker to 60 for 15K didn't pencil in my book. Besides its my wifes car and she does have the need for speed. If I want speed I can pull out my super charged Z06.
Well,I do own a Rolex and I am surprised at the problems you have had. I have had mine for 25 years and other than having it cleaned every 5 years and having the crystal replaced after I chipped it climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, I have not had any problems with it. I love it and plan on passing it on to my daughter-in-law.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts