Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 1990 350 sdl but it has 360,000 miles on it. The asking price is $2500. I would hate to sink any money into a car with high miles like that if I knew it was near death. What would be a ball park figure to rebuild this engine? The owner says it runs "great".

Thanks

·
Registered
85 500sel grey market
23 Posts
Unless you can do the work yourself, you are going to have way more in the car than what it is worth. Even with 360,000 miles it still may run great, but you really need to check the entire car out before buying it. Nice, really babied and cared for cars can be had for not much more money.

If you can't do anything on your own, I would walk away - labor cost on repairs would be a nightmare. Do you want to see the paperwork I have for mine totaling over $12,000 dollars before I bought it for $600?

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
The 350SD and 350SDL's are one of the worst and unreliable diesel engines ever made by MB. Most, but not all, have catastrophic engine damage around 150k miles. They start by using a lot of oil and then the cylinder walls start to oval out. Do a search on "rod bender" and you'll read all the horror stories on that motor.

The best diesel W126 to get is the 1986 or 1987 300SDL with updated cylinder heads. The 300SD's are also reliable and good engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$12,000????? Why so high or is that the going price to rebuild a Mercedes engine? Wouldn't it be better to cut your loses and invest in another car?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Nobody has so far asked the right question. Did this 350 blow up? If so was it rebuilt with the modified head? Was the engine replaced? If either is true, that would explain the high miles. It would also mean the car is a better bet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All original miles. Nothing replaced to my knowledge. I know nothing about Mercedes but I must thank you guys for educating me. I'm learning a ton. Anyone have any idea what this car sold for new? I really like this style but the mileage REALLY scares me. Are parts still available for this car? Not just engine parts but interior components as well? I read another thread about swapping from a 350 to a 300. Are they interchangeable like a small block Chevy? I would love to buy this and try to make it new again but I don't want to spend my 401k(what's left of it) doing it. Few cars peak my interest like this style does. The newer MB's don't do much for me, but I don't want to sink money into a car that's not worth rebuilding. You don't see people rebuilding an AMC Hornet do you?

Thanks, Dwayne

·
Registered
from small to large
885 Posts
As Snibble indicated, 350SDL (350SD too) should be avoided regardless how nice it looks. The "rod bending" is a nightmare although yours may not be one of them. The bottom line is - you don't want to take a bet with your hard-earned money while you could find a nice 300SDL somewhere out there. Go for a 300SDL and you'll be happy for rest of your life if you did.

·
Registered
85 500sel grey market
23 Posts
$12,000????? Why so high or is that the going price to rebuild a Mercedes engine? Wouldn't it be better to cut your loses and invest in another car?
No not the going price for a rebuild... going price for people that have more money than sense getting stiffed on work done to the car. Most of that money labor... and by people that really had no idea what they were doing.

·
Registered
w126
1,535 Posts
Wasn't the problem corrected early in the first year? It seems to me I heard that this wasn't a problem after that.

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
You can always find the 3 liter version of the engine and swap it, if the 350 engine has problems now or later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts