Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C240 silver, 2008 R320CDI Cubanite
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I just changed my fuel filter and noticed alot of oil around the air intake by the turbo housing. Also the EGR connection was very loose. Seems like the oil came from there. Any ideas what the problem is? New EGR valve? Why is this connecton (the red one in the photo) so loose?

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, 1983 240D, 1982 300SD, 1980 300SD, 1978 280SE EURO
261 Posts
That is not your egr, that is the crankcase ventilation or blowby hose. You can purchase two new seals for it, the orange/red pieces one for the turbo and one for the hose heater as pictured. They DO NOT LAST LONG! I did mine 6 months ago and found they are sweating again! I will try a oil pan glue or similar substance to try to improve the sealing, these engines seem to suffer from alot of blowby early in life. It also sucks that there is no clamp on the blow by hose.
It is also very very tricky getting those seals seated properly and the air intake pipes installed correctly (the pipes with the mass air flow sensors) they tend to tuck in a bit and cause problems. I paid $50 or so for both seals I think. Rumour has it Dodge offers a better seal for the Grand Cherokee diesel 2008, I might check that route out.

The egr is on the drivers side at the rear of the engine sort of above the valve cover you can see it in the extreme right side top of your larger pic-another thing to be cleaned! Also consider pulling your glow plugs and installing proper antiseize on them while in there to prevent seizing/breaking off.

·
Registered
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, 1983 240D, 1982 300SD, 1980 300SD, 1978 280SE EURO
261 Posts
I am guessing they would cover leaks under warrranty. No harm in trying!

·
Registered
2005 C240 silver, 2008 R320CDI Cubanite
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far they are not acknowledging that there is a problem but the service manager is now aware. Seems he has a very practical approach. He coverd my bill for several other nagging little things that should have worked when I got the car.

regardless. I am thinking of a rubber sleeve, to go over the connection. Perhaps just a piece of innertube. simple cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts