Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying a 98-00 convertible soon. What should I look out for. I assume you folks all love yours but have more experience than I. Any help is much appreciated.[:)]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apparently if you are new, you don't get much in the way of reply's, so since I'm new...we're in the same boat and will help as much as possible. First, they never made a 98 cab. The 99 cab is a nice car, (I had one) but they did make some nice cosmetic changes in the 00 and better. Number one, you get nicer wheels (IMO) on the 00 and up. Also, the 99 has the turn signals built right into the body of the car, under the side mirrors. On the 00 and up, they are built into the side mirrors and the body is left whole and cleaner looking for this. The 99 has a strip of black which runs the entire length of the car on both sides down at the bottom...sort of looks like a shadow, and takes away from the complete look of the body. On the 00 and up, they made the lower portion all the same color and looks much better...again, IMO. One thing which the 99 had which the 00 and up doesn't, is a nice leather gearshift knob with a glass top. I prefer this, and replaced my 01 with an 00 type. The 01 and up, have a pistol grip type shiftknob...it is leather, but it's got a strip of wood which runs vertically through the leather. I like the previous years better. Mechanically, I don't know about the changes from 99 to the later models. I recently bought an 01 cab...outside of the clunky suspension, I love the car and think it's the nicest looking car on the road. I took off the front hood emblem and replaced it with a flat badge. I had my wheels chromed, and as I said...changed my shiftknob. Welcome to the group, and hope we get a chance to communicate with other members here once in awhile.
Thanks to the person who replied to my post BTW.

·
Registered
W208
106 Posts
try to find something with low mileage, so you can get an extended warranty with it. My cabro has gave me a couple of thousands of $$$ work on it....The convertible top pump just blew out on me and the dealer quoted me $1300 for the repair..[:0]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I ended up getting a very clean '02 with a good service history. I bought it in Little Rock and drove it home to Maryland over the weekend. Without a doubt, the best road trip I ever took. Should be a nice summer with the drop-top. Now I just need to come up to speed on what maintenance is really needed and what is not. Thanks again for the help, Fletch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts