Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My W211 E320 CDI 03' have been sitting in the garage for about a month now, and in the mean while I wanted to charge the little battery in the engine bay and the big battery in the trunk.

I have recently had problems with the large battery in the trunk not wanted to get fully charged, and it still isn't fully charged even though it has been charging for a week now.

So today I wanted to start the car, but when I unlock the car it flashed red in the display, saying "Reduced braking power - VISIT WORKSHOP", and something about "Malfunction Consumer electronics . I tried to start it, but when I try to do that it just clicks and nothing happens. The clock in the car spins around, and the radio (Command) in the car turned on for at few secs and turned of flashing a bit too. And as mentioned in the topic title I can't open the boot in any way so I can't access the battery nor get the car to a mechanic...

What is happening...?! :confused:

I hope you can help me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have just now tried to put the key in again, but this time it's even worse it freaks out. It makes a constant beep noise, and says in red "STOP VEHICLE - BRAKE DEFECTIVE!" the car is not even started. It's not the only message, but also other messages about the brakes constantly pop up in red the car is going insane. :S

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Either your battery is bad or you have a consumer fault that prevents the charger charge the battery successfully. You have to get the battery full one way or the other before you can figure out if there are other issues.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,705 Posts
If the battery didn't charge in a week, -it is not going to charge ever, unless you have bad charger. Can't you open the trunk, or boot with the key?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I have got the boot open I locked the car and waited 1 hour, and I was able to open it with the key.

However, when I'm unlocking the car it's already going nuts in the display as soon as I do that.

After searching the internet a bit I might think it's the SBC brake unit since it complains about the brakes and the car won't start because of that?

If I need a new SBC pump will Mercedes-Benz fix it for free due to their special warranty on the certain unit? I haven't got the servicebook.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Update: I have got the boot open I locked the car and waited 1 hour, and I was able to open it with the key.

However, when I'm unlocking the car it's already going nuts in the display as soon as I do that.

After searching the internet a bit I might think it's the SBC brake unit since it complains about the brakes and the car won't start because of that?

If I need a new SBC pump will Mercedes-Benz fix it for free due to their special warranty on the certain unit? I haven't got the servicebook.
The car would tell SBC brakes are not fully functional if you do not have enough power on both batteries. You should fix you battery power issues first before starting to worry about SBC brakes.

The car would start even if SBC brakes were faulty. Think about the car stalling on a railway crossing, you would have to have the car started even if it had no brakes (and the car has emergency brakes even if SBC failed).

·
Registered
E320 2003 Estate
15 Posts
Similar issue - Car won't start anymore!

Relaunching this thread as I seem to experience a very similar issue with my 2003 E320:

As I was driving yesterday I noticed that my phone charger went off, as well as the gear lights, while the Parktronic light turned red and wouldn't turn off. I also got the impression that the brake system was slightly less responsive (but it could be my imagination).

I was able to restart the car but experienced the mad turning clock. I drove back home and wouldn't be able to restart the car, just a click noise and the messages:
"Reduced braking effect Start engine!"
"Longer stopping distance Start engine!"

After a couple more trials, I got the red messages:
"Brake defective. Stop vehicle"
"ESP defective. Visit workshop"

finally, the front panel behind the wheel wouldn't display information anymore, only flashing icons.

Could it be that my phone connector failed and damaged the electrical system?
Or is it likely to be a deficient battery only? And which one would it be?
Do you recommend I change that battery before calling a garage? (I am in central London and the cost of bringing someone will be horrendous)
Thanks for any tip

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,122 Posts
Checking the main battery would be the first thing to do. Ideally the main battery should be at least up to 12.5v. However without a load test it may check out fine but still be a weak battery. If you can remove and take it to a shop they should be able to test it properly.
These W211s can act electrically possessed by demons if there is not enough electricity.

·
Registered
87 560SL, 71 280SL euro, 74 VW Ghia, 78 280Z Black Pearl, 78 280Z, 04 Corolla, 07 Odyssey, 94 Prizm
109 Posts
Your 211 has a VRLA battery in the trunk. If it has not been replaced, replace it. If it is the original one, it will have a stamp date on the negative battery terminal. The upper numbers refer to the week of production, while the lower numbers represent the year. VRLA batteries require assisted charge, which means you need to have another battery hooked up to it, like a regular sulfuric maintenance battery. Slow charge the battery for 2 days. But, if it is not an original equipment battery, I recommend replacing it with an original equipment battery. Mercedes offers a regular type battery and a VRLA (gel type deep cycle) battery. VRLA batteries are much stronger. Due to SBC taking a lot of energy, that is why you have an assisted battery in the front below your a/c dust filter. If you are mechanically inclined, you can measure the amperage draw with a multimeter. Keep in mind, these vehicles have networking and will require some time before the network "falls asleep" (when the modules stop communicating). You should not have an amp draw greater than 0.07 amps. If you have an amp draw of more than half an amp, there is a module not falling "asleep" and maintaining your network awake. That is why you get the consumer shutoff message in the instrument cluster. The average price for the VRLA battery is 314.00 dollars plus tax. You can ask for a discount at your dealer and maybe they might give you one. When replacing the battery, it is essential to perform certain basic programming like the antipinch of the windows and the sunroof. It is also essential to renormalize the A/C servo motors, but you will require the factory equipment to perform the renormalization of the servomotors. As far as the "Reduced braking power", it can be related to the batteries. If not, there might be a possibility that your SBC pump has already reached its service threshold and will have to be replaced. MB had extended the warranty on the SBC pump for 10 years from the beginning of the warranty start date. Being that your vehicle is a 2003, I highly doubt that it is still under warranty. Check with your local dealer to see if it still has warranty. Cheers!

·
Registered
E320 2003 Estate
15 Posts
Thanks Ozzy. The battery is an MB one, AGM type, made by Varta, but a smaller 70Ah. Seems light for a 320. I will change it soon. Is it better to use an AGM? (I drive mostly 15-20 min short trips on the weekend)

The garage said they have to change the alternator. I was surprised at the very high price and they accepted to source a Bosch alternator instead

1 - 11 of 11 Posts