Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'03 CL55
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally afre more then 5 years of searching i have purcaased on of my favourite cars a Mercedes 500E, Less then 1500 were ever imported in the States, and im sure half of them are already gone, so finding one of these it's not and easy task. A car so special like this makes it the only Mercedes to be made in conjuction with Porsche, a 5.0L V8 Engine which produces 330HP and 360 Torque, this monsted was a killer in it's time (1992-1994), Anyways let me get back to how it all started as a trip from Miami to NYC which lasted 30 Hrs on NON-STOP driving, an experiance i wish to forget but probably never will. It all started Monday afternoon when we arived to Miami via Air, at around 7:45 we landed at Miami International Airport at which point we were picked up by the ex-owner of the soon to be my baby :). After a good check up and test drive, I decided to buy it and head on home to NYC. At this point it was almost 10 p.m. and our trip back home had officially begun.

It was all nice and smooth untill 3 hrs into driving on 95N we were forced to exit the highway at which point we learned that it had been closed due to Forest fires, and we had no where to go except head on 50 miles west to the Florida TPK, but before that we decided to make a short stop for some grub and Gas and we had a chance to take some pics

After getting back on the higway we had to stop becuase of a car accident near Orlando which delayed us for an additional hour,

After continuing we by mistake forgot to get off the TRPK in Orlando and take HGWY4 . Now we found ourselfs driving on the lonely Florida Trpk for hours, untill it finally turned into 75 at which point we could take RT10 and go straight into Jacksonville a road that delayed us for a good 2-3 additional hrs.
Around 6 A.M we got into Georgia,

were we stopped of for some brekfast and decided to continue with our trip

Speeding was def not an option even tough we were so tempted to step on the Gas :D

Exiting Georgial and entering South Carolina (which was the most boring part of the drive for 4 hrs it was nothing but trees on both sides

After getting into Norht Carolina we decided to stop for some lunch and give the old lady a nice cold bath

·
Registered
'03 CL55
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At this point we continued with the trip and had to stop by in North Carolina for some Fuel, and check on up on all the fluids to make sure we would have no problems

The trip was shortly continued as we slowly awaited to arrive home, this was a bad attempt at snapping some pics in Virginia

It was all smooth untill we hit D.C. were traffic was un-avoidable so we had to relax for a bit and go slow, but we got a chance to get close to this MONSTER

the New E-Class came a long way, this is def not an Old-Man's car ;)

And just as we cleared D.C. we hit some major traffic in Maryland

Frustration was kicking at this point so we decided to stop by for one last break at the end of Maryland. But as soon as we left the rest stop we enountered another delay, the "so called" construction zone delayed us for almost 2 hrs

But thank god that was the last delay of the night as we cruised from NJ straight into NYC and arrived home on a Wednsday morning at 3 A.M.

At this point we were so glad we got home we could not wait to hit the sack and get a well deserved rest

·
Registered
C124,S210-ex... W140 500SEL Black '93 & W202 C250 20V Diesel '94
19 Posts
Beauty...
Dim all windows & put Avantgarde grille :thumbsup: Killer

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
Interesting story. I'm definitely too old for that s$%&! Just out of curiousity, do you know what your fuel mileage was for the trip?

·
Registered
94 E320 5 spd conversion
942 Posts
Like hell you're too old for that. Its just that today you would be traveling with the wife, share driving with her while you sit in the "uncomfortable seat". All would be better after a nice dinner, a bottle of white wine and a nice hotel room. Repeat until you get home :) Note that this does not work if bringing home a beater.

Oh, that's a damn nice car!

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Very nice find. Funny it doesn't have a tint and its from Miami? Please tell us that you plan to drive this car only when the roads do not have salt on them!! There are so few of these left, it would be downright car abuse to drive it in the winter. Next time you might want to think about shipping or trailering the car. Driving a car that you are just purchased 1650 miles isn't the best idea.

Are those HID headlamps or just blue tint halogen?

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
Congrats on the purchase of a MB icon. I'm sure you'll be enjoying it very much.
I find it odd that at 70 MPH the engine is revving at 2700 RPM. Those same numbers are obtained in my E320 with a smaller engine. Was it in 4th gear?

·
Registered
'03 CL55
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys there are few orders of business and that are removing all the ting, taking off the AMG badge and replacing the wheels with something more subtle and more Dished.

As for the milage i think it got some pretty good milage im not really sure how big the tank was but we squeezed 450 miles out of it at on point, so it took about 5 full fill-ups and that's with the bad Cats, can't wait to replaced them.
They are HID's and very good quality becuase they are 2 -fillement which means they light up even brighter when i use the high beams, and for some weird reason even tough it's an open headlight they are not annoying at all, so i will be leaving them on (maybe i will change the color to more white)
The car will be daily driven now untill the winter, they i will have the whole car stipped and porfessionaly painted, beucase there are some areas of the car which im not 2 happy about plus mos tof the panels were already painted.
As far as speed goes this car feels faster then both my BMW 540 which had 300HP and my AUDI S4 that had 340HP, it's just a monster on the highway,

·
Registered
1988 300E, 2006 E350 wagon
278 Posts
the car looks sharp. while you're taking off the AMG badge, do something about the "E 500"
man, I wish I had this car.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Congrats. I vote for debadging as well. Those in the know should be able to tell from the fender flares what it is.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Congrats. I vote for debadging as well. Those in the know should be able to tell from the fender flares what it is.
Do not debadge. A 500E needs a badge. Otherwise people are going to think it is a 400E. The AMG badge can go. There is nothing more cheeeezzy then a fake AMG.

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
After that trip my first item for that beauty would be "GPS" will hepl you keep on the straight and narrow!!

Smokie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts