Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals....this is absolutely the best product to use on vinyl and rubber surfaces both inside and out on all your vehicles.

You can find it occasionally at the auto parts stores, but your best bet (and least expensive) is to just purchase a gallon jug online. I've
been using this product for over ten years and it is the best for keeping materials pliable and it leaves a satin finish on the surface.

It is also perfect for tires. Most of the crap being sold these days for tires is silicone based which leaves an artificial gloss shine and is difficult to remove.
The best applicator for 303 is one of the terry cloth applicators that you normally buy in bulk (say 12 or so). You can either spray the 303 on the tire or the pad itself. I prefer to almost saturate the pad and then apply to just the rubber surfaces, not the wheel itself.

Also great for all of the plastic bits and pieces, both inside and out. Leaves a satin sheen and helps prevent cracking to all those exterior pieces that have mostly full sun exposure.

This product is NOT for leather. You need a specific product for leather seats, gear shift boots and other leather trim. Plenty of choices out there. My favorite is a cream called Zaino's out of New York. Soaks into the fibers and leaves a satin finish with an authentic leather smell. Not greasy !!

Plenty of good glass cleaners out there. I prefer the aerosol by Sprayway, but there are plenty of good choices. Main thing is to have a good supply of clean
microfiber towels and don't use them on anything else but glass.

Last by not least.....for tar/paint/splatters/whatever that is hard to remove...3M makes a product in a quart can...3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover that is my go to product. After using this to clean the area, you will need to reapply your favorite wax.

OK ...last recommendation..For all your chrome,stainless steel, brass, copper, I recommend NEVR DULL impregnated wadding. You will not see this everywhere, but you can get it online and sometimes hardware stores will have it. Easy to use..will NOT scratch and helps prevent tarnish, rust and staining of any metal. I recently purchased a 2015 Mercedes ML350 and tried two or three other polishes (Simichrome/Flitz) and BY FAR, the best results on the stainless trim around the windows and the roof rails was with the NEVR DULL wadding. HIGHLY recommended !!!

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,523 Posts
As far as the 303 Aerospace Protectant, I'm all in, and have been using this on the cars, Harleys, RV, boat, etc. for many years.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,863 Posts
I first came across the 303 when I was getting filters at the dealer for my 944 Turbo.
IMO nobody has ever made a better product.

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes SL560
3 Posts
I have a 1989 560sl with a perfect dash, no cracks.Is the 303 Aerospace Protectant the best to use? I don't want to ruin this due to UV rays. I live in Arizona and the sun can be brutal. Most of the time its in the garage but even that gets to be near 100 degrees. Will this dry out quickly being in the garage?

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,523 Posts
I've been using 303 for many years and have never had a single issue (see post #2 above). My uses for 303 includes the dash as well as other parts of the interior, tires etc., and that applies to all my cars as well as my 1989 560SL.

I haven't experienced extraordinary, sustained heat over long periods of time, but my understanding is that this product is less about heat protection, and more about UV protection.

Most of the time my car is also in the garage. Actually, it's in the garage unless I'm either out for a drive, or as part of an outing for the day. If you're still concerned about harm to your dash, etc., consider one of those foldable, cardboard screen to place on the dash for additional protection. I've never felt it necessary.

If you're not already fully informed about 303, read more about it on the website here:

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I've got a sun screen for both of my W163' mercedes. Easy to put into place and probably the best product to prevent drying and cracking of a vintage dashboard. A little bit of a pain-in-the-butt to position properly but practice makes perfect and will also keep other interior panels from drying out and changing color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts