Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all im new to the forum but really love these old cars, i got my wagon when i was 16, and i am 17 now. it used to run great,but now when i gradually press in the accelerator the car will not accelerate and seems to bog down. By bog down i mean it slows down and doesn't pick up speed. Interestingly enough though, when i completely punch it all the way to the floor it takes off like a bat outta hell. I know i know, classic 17 year old testing methods, however i'm perplexed by this problem, ive put all new injectors in and a new fuel pump relay. could it be a timing issue, a transmission issue (it shifts sort of hard from first to second), a solenoid problem? i just don't know. it could even be electrical from what i hear but im curious to see what you guys come up with. I appreciate any of you that opt to help out a confused 17 year old. Long live Benz! Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I admire your spirit, you have a lot of courage taking on a 31 yo car!

I see you’ve replaced some components, have you looked into the throttle cable itself or checked out the throttle body blade movement? The cable on my 95 is a push cable so that when it got old & weak it couldn’t open the throttle anymore. Also check the throttle body to see if it’s gotten gunked up and tougher to move. It might need cleaning.

I don’t know how well your car was cared for but my 95 was not taken care of by it’s last owner and everything was filthy. That kind of grime causes issues over time. If your car is like that it’s worth it to clean it up as you have time. That way diagnosing issues & working on the car is a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
W124
4,729 Posts
You may already be aware of this and if you do, just ignore. But once cars got more complicated, it became more difficult to diagnose a problem. As a result, the basic components involved in combusion need to be in top shape before starting to find the source of the problem. This means the distributor cap, rotor, wires, and plugs need to be new or near new before you start digging in. Heck, it might even solve your problem. If I had to guess, I would say you have an enrighment issue cause either by vacuum leaks and/or electronic issues with the fuel management.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I see you’ve replaced some components, have you looked into the throttle cable itself or checked out the throttle body blade movement? The cable on my 95 is a push cable so that when it got old & weak it couldn’t open the throttle anymore. Also check the throttle body to see if it’s gotten gunked up and tougher to move. It might need cleaning.

I don’t know how well your car was cared for but my 95 was not taken care of by it’s last owner and everything was filthy. That kind of grime causes issues over time. If your car is like that it’s worth it to clean it up as you have time. That way diagnosing issues & working on the car is a lot easier.

Thank you for responding!!! I haven’t checked the throttle assembly at all, it’s underneath the intake correct? If it’s underneath the fuel injection system it might be out of my pay grade haha, my car has the original Jet-tronic system which is complicated. I will be sure to take a look at this, thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may already be aware of this and if you do, just ignore. But once cars got more complicated, it became more difficult to diagnose a problem. As a result, the basic components involved in combusion need to be in top shape before starting to find the source of the problem. This means the distributor cap, rotor, wires, and plugs need to be new or near new before you start digging in. Heck, it might even solve your problem. If I had to guess, I would say you have an enrighment issue cause either by vacuum leaks and/or electronic issues with the fuel management.
I have put new plugs wires and a new coil in, I can check the cap and rotor. What is enrighment?

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,814 Posts
you just need to remove the air filter housing, which is 3 nuts...

what you'll find under there is a whole mess of this:

factory service schedule called for each of those ball joints and pivots to be lubricated with a drop of ATF at every service interval...

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,168 Posts
To hell with a "drop".....get in there with a syringe and liberally dose the joints. If they look really dry, you could break the ball joints (not literally), use the ATF and put back together.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,814 Posts
yeah, I always popped them off and put the oil directly on the ball. if you squirt ATF over the outside, it just ends up all dirty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts