Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300TE W124 M103
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day guys i hope you can help me with some pointers. I have pretty much changed everything on my engine that could contribute to a slight "kick" in my idle. All i have left are the two hoses on the idle control valve which i want to tackle but the one heading down under the inlet manifold seems to disappear into the abyss and i am concerned about how hard it would be to replace this. The top one i am happy with for obvious reasons. Is there anything i need to know if i do this? What needs to be removed to allow access, do a need another two arms and dislocated fingers etc?

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
The one that disappears into the abyss goes to a nipple pressed into the flat part of the intake manifold, the part that bolts up against the cylinder head. It *is* quite difficult to get to this hose end and once you get there you find a spring clamp holding the hose in place.
I replaced the hose while the airflow housing/fuel distributor, fuel pipes, cold start injector and throttle body were removed from the engine. It seemed wise to do it then but access was still tough.
How to do it with the engine fully assembled? Wow, I don't know. You may be able to get at the clamp by coming up from below but the Tempomat actuator will be in the way.
Anyway, here's what you're trying to access:

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 300TE W124 M103
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pointers. It would seem i have a bit of a fight on my hands. Maybe i'll try the top hose first and see if i get lucky with curing my idle. It's unlikely but worth a shot i guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts