The not so good

The prep work

Removal

Bracing

Assembling

·
66,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Test drive this morning: night and day difference in how the wagon feels and handles.

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
If original, I'd replace them anyway...just because of the fatigue factor. There was a picture in here of one letting go and how the strut tried to come through the hood. Avoidable, awful scenario.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
(Wheel) Well done.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey, gang…

I have a question… who is a good (reliable, decent prices and accurate) source for M-B parts? I used to get most, if not all, of my parts for our Benzes over the years from Rusty. Now that he's retired and closed shop, who is left?

I need a source for reasonably-priced front struts for my 93 300E 2.8.

TIA...

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
If its for struts, get them off autopartswarehouse.com then google search a 10% coupon. Ignore the garbage brands they have and go get a set of Bilstein HD's. Cheapest place and they ship FAST. No tax too.

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
Or....buy the factory Sachs which were on my car forever. Bilsteins wouldn't have 'improved' the factory ride of the TE, IMO.

Kevin

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good prices, at $127/ea for the Bilsteins, IF you take off 10%. I ended up paying $105 for each side and $8 for each boot from Tire Rack. Shipping from Indiana to Ohio was $19.16. Plus, I bought from a place I know and have had great support with, so that is also an added benefit for me. I figure the shipping costs mostly negate the 10% discount, and I get a place I have dealt with many times.

However, if you are not comfortable with Tire Rack or Bilsteins or have a good history with APW, I see nothing wrong in using them. I am not a fan of "no name" brand parts.

BTW, the Bils on the front have lasted almost 100k miles, so I trust the brand. The rears are newer, so I don't need to replace them (they are still firm enough for a lot longer).

I will keep APW in mind for other items which Tire Rack may not sell and I cannot locate around here or on eBay for a great price.

I will keep the 300E in good shape as I am finding it difficult to someday part with the car as it saved our daughter's life. She was at a stop on I-75 in a construction zone when a car hit from the rear and hit at about 45 - 50mph, according to the police. She drove it home (happened locally) and it was amazing. The other car was totaled but drivable and their insurance paid the $4400 to fix our 300E. A great job was done on it by a top body mechanic and you cannot tell it was ever hit. Someday, I will sell it or give it away to a good home, but not anytime soon. In two years, I want to get either a Benz Bluetec (2011 or a new E-class), a new C-class (hopefully with the 2.2L 4-cyl found in the new GLK and E-class cars), or a CLA (which would likely be petrol unless they import a Bluetec version with the same 2.2L 4-cylinder motor). I have the next 2 years to decide how to replace the Volvo S70.

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
I guess I'm talking to air;$106.96ea @autohaus for the factory OEM Sachs......but hell, gotta have them Bilsteins, right?!:rolleyes:

Kevin

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nah, not talking to air. :)

I have just had better luck with Bilsteins than with Sachs. Used Sachs on Volvos and they never lasted as long as the Bils on our Benzes. I've heard of people preferring Sachs and not liking Bilsteins, but I've had the opposite experience and opinions over the years. BTW, I've never used Sport or HD shocks/struts, so I would not know how those compare for longevity over standard touring shocks/struts. Wait… I now remember using HD shocks on our W126 just after I bought the car. At 100+k later, they were still just fine… now, if the car had not been totaled… we'd still have it. Oy. (No injuries, BTW.)

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
I recently installed new Sachs on the front of my lowered sedan, and couldn't be happier.

Same here.....it defies logic that this option is usually ignored....especially given the track record of the OE struts.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
Struts/shocks are like fuel injectors;they have a lifespan and then need replaced. Unfortunately, folks live with compromised struts/shocks a lot longer than they should(myself included). I'd have to go back though all my service records, but I'm pretty sure mine were original....only recently did I notice the ride compromised enough to motivate me to change them.:D

Kevin

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeppirs… I've done the same. The 300E 2.8 has been in-need of front struts for awhile now, but I've not had the time and would rather not spend the $600 for a shop to put them on. Being temporarily out of work, one has to be a little frugal. I only occasionally drive the Benz. We drive very little as everything is very close to where we live, using only about 8 gallons of gas per week (total of both cars). As soon as the temps warm up a tad, I will bundle up and get to work on the new struts. With the W124, the front coils are not over the struts, so I can work without the use of a spring compressor. Anyone have any tips to share? I once saw a nice description on the 'how to' section of this forum, but I've noticed that it has been removed. I will peek at my manual for the W124, but it's not all that detailed in some regards.
BTW, the W126 shocks would have needed replacement, in the Spring of that year, but it was totaled about a month before I planned the work. I had spent money for a re-spray and was about to work on a new turbo and newer front seats when it was hit. The Civic was completely destroyed, but no injuries to anyone. It was a low-speed accident. I could not convince the insurance company to repair the 300SDL and getting a salvage title was not something I was willing to tackle in trying to change.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
12 Participants
Real1shepherd
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing