Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a shop (they do mostly tires and brakes but also does shocks apparently)

They said I needed all 4 new shocks, unfortunately they are hydraulic/electric they said. They quoted me at $800 per shock on the rear, and he said the front struts would be even more.

All in all there is no final price but he gave me a ball park estimate of 3-4 thousands dollars.

Is this a reasonable assessment? Should I look into just doing it myself? I have never done anything mechanical before, not even changing the oil. I do not know much about the parts on a car.

Any advice is appreciated, I hate to lose this car, my family is telling me to stop putting any money into the car and to purchase another car.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Can't help with cost or prices, but do not, I repeat do not do this job on your own if you have no mech knowledge. Anything that has to do with suspension, is not a first timer job. More so for your car.
Having said that, let's wait for others to chime in on the price portion of your post.

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
16,393 Posts
I just got back from a shop (they do mostly tires and brakes but also does shocks apparently)

They said I needed all 4 new shocks, unfortunately they are hydraulic/electric they said. They quoted me at $800 per shock on the rear, and he said the front struts would be even more.

All in all there is no final price but he gave me a ball park estimate of 3-4 thousands dollars.

Is this a reasonable assessment? Should I look into just doing it myself? I have never done anything mechanical before, not even changing the oil. I do not know much about the parts on a car.

Any advice is appreciated, I hate to lose this car, my family is telling me to stop putting any money into the car and to purchase another car.
Run away...

Sounds the guys that "work" in this "shop" walk around with their knuckles dragging on the ground. Do not go back there - they don't deserve to work on your car. I'm probably being unfair. They probably do a very good job changing tyres. I don't know what they could mean by electrical unless they saw the abs wires on the front.

Chances are the rear just needs new air cells which are about $120 each. If you are like me and have little mechanical aptitude but can follow basic instructions and use common sense you can do the back yourself. There is plenty of TE suspension help under the search button.

Unlikely, but even if you need a new hydraulic leg you don't have to replace both. Autohaus have them for about $400 ea (?).

I bought a new pair of Bilstein front struts for $90 ea. Mine were from a mate but expect to pay about $150/200 each. They are just struts.

Do the homework and be methodical and you can do it all yourself. If you really don't want to then a reputable independent MB guy will advise. A lot less than the quote you have I reckon.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
If the rear hydraulic arms are not leaking they are fine -- RUN away!!

The hydraulic "shocks" are not really shocks. The actual shock is the accumulators which are $100/each.

Replace the rear accumulators and I bet it'll fix the issue.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow. Can't believe it. You guys are the best.

The problem with those 'shops' is that they don't really know anything about the cars. They're just part replacers.

Is there a way to tell if it is the accumulator or the air cells?

my car has 230,000 miles, should I just replace both?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts

·
16,393 Posts
Bit of a worry that this "shop" that specializes in tyres and shocks either doesn't know what a front shock looks like or is prepared to charge someone over $800 for one, apparently just because it's for a MB.

God knows what they quote for a set of $600 Pirellis.. If they even know what they are..:eek:

·
16,393 Posts
wait, is the 'air cell' and the 'accumulator' the same part?

as for that second link, it didn't work.

is it this one?

Bilstein Front Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly Bilstein B4 Touring Class Black, Monotube

appreciate your help.
Cell and accumulator are the same thing. Go to Autohaus and search under your car then rear suspension. The link you are quoting is for the front struts. The cells are for the rear. Go to someone else and ask about your front struts. There may be nothing wrong with them.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Go with Bilstein HD's for the front struts.

Air cells/accumulator -- same thing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you so much guys.

I'm going to find some mechanics and approach them with the entire job outlined out and have them bid for the job.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I'll do your shocks for $750. I'll beat his price by a whole $50 ;)

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I'd start from scratch and let 2-3 mechanics give me their take. When you lead a mechanic, you risk your assessment being wrong and costing you dollars. Let them do their job, that first shop should be avoided as everyone has said. (you seem like me, not so handy so the game is to avoid wasting money on bad mechanics)

The odds are really good that replacing the accumulators will bring back your ride. I'd like to hear that from a mechanic...then, he'd get my bidness.

Where do you live?

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I have the mechanical ability and a garage with every single tool imaginable to mankind available..snip
I would challenge that statement, young grasshopper. An enthusiastic hobby goer, yes...a certified MB mechanic with yrs of service and the tools to match, not even close. Sorry but as they say, you set yourself up on that one.:D

Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts