Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a pretty good overheat the other day (hopefully didnt do any damage to the block). I got the car towed home, and opened the hood to find my blue windshield fluid had "magically" turned green ;) . I pulled out the coil and found what I'm assuming is the thermo-control for the windshield fluid (Unit attached at the bottom of the coil)... which had the piston and spring sitting at the bottom of the washer fluid tank. I wanted to make sure this wasnt some sort of relief valve for coolant/steam (I think the radiator cap does that job :) ). I'm assuming I can replace that unit or (since I'm in California) just tie the two lines together since hot windshield fluid does me no good here :D . Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts.

Also, would anyone be kind enough to share a PDF of the workshop manual with me?? (Pretty please) I have been searching for one for weeks now with no luck.

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
There is _no_ way coolant could get into your windshield fluid reservoir... not unless somebody confused the two (would probably explain the overheating :p). There is no "coil" - the thing you are looking at is the windshield fluid warning signal sender.

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,918 Posts
There is a coil inside the windshield washer reservoir. That coil heats up the washer fluid to help clear the wind shield during cold weather. The coil is heated by the coolant that passes through that coil. So, there is a possibility that the washer fluid mixed with the coolant due to a leak in this coil.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
COIL

Yes you can bypass the heating coil by connecting the two coolant lines.
The coil is easily removed from the washer tank. A used coil is cheap at the junkyard. The solder cracks after years of being soaked with BLUE washer fluid. Use a non-corroding fluid that will not eat up the solder. Sold at dealers or other aftermarket sources.

·
Registered
W124
5,881 Posts
In '89 MB moved to the heated washer reservoir. They also used heated (electric) hose from the washer res up to the nozzles on the hood. They are both problematic over time. I have 260k miles on my '88 300E (which doesn't have any of the heated washer parts) and I have never missed the effects of heated washer fluid. You could go to a boneyard and get a pre '89 set up.

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon, 2004 C320 Sedan
220 Posts
There is _no_ way coolant could get into your windshield fluid reservoir... not unless somebody confused the two (would probably explain the overheating :p). There is no "coil" - the thing you are looking at is the windshield fluid warning signal sender.
All of the responses are correct except this one. He probably never had one with the heated washer reservoir like yours (that failed). Like everybody else said: it is simple to bypass or get the part from a salvage yard. I have done both..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts