Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

Newbie here. Very thankful to be a member! I have learned an enormous amount of info about my car from the posts.

The 4-Matic light is on constantly in my 92 300TE 4-Matic. It is now in test mode, but I've had a knocking noise in the rear when backing up. The hydraulic oil reservoir was empty, and I looked at the pump only to find it covered with oil, along with the surrounding area. I have refilled the res with MB hydraulic oil - expecting it to leak and empty again.

Would you assume the pump is shot? What can be done besides buying another pump? Because of the knocking noise when reversing, is the transfer case in trouble too?

Lastly, what should I do now that the reservoir is full again after being empty for who knows how long? I probably need to bleed the system but am unsure how.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
You May be able to re-seal the pump if the re-seal kit is still available from MB..

Yes, the transfer cases are Known for issues.. How many miles on your car? If over 100K then consider yourself lucky that you made it this far.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I've seen seal kits out there but didn't know how effective they are. The car has 167k and is absolutely beautiful. I love the car but am not sure how much money I want to sink into it.

I should find out for sure what the problem is but don't want to keep the dealer afloat this month. I'd appreciate any suggestions/recommendations from any one. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there, I am in Owatonna, Minn. and am here to pick up my new to me 1992. w124 300te 4matic and the light is on and the reservoir was empty. 168K. All the current wisdom says It should now be on its second transfercase. also while apparently it is possible to rebuild the pump the greater likelyhood are the seals at the tranfercase pistons. very difficult to source the manual for the case as it is an addendum from mercedes. Sadly someone cut the exhaust from my car and I dont think I will be able to return home with it as it is REALLY loud and all the yards I called just laughed when I asked if they had one even a sedan system I could modify just to get home(Albuquerque) will share anything I learn from this experience.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Owatonna, MN - I grew up in far northern Iowa, about an hour or so from Owatonna. I hope your car works well for you. When you say the seals at the transfer case pistons, where are they in proximity to the pump? What I'm getting at is whether or not a leak at that location could cause oil to be on top of the pump and on things near and around it, which is where I have oil. Anything specific I can look for to see if they are the culprit?

I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well. went out to stare at the car for while... top of my pump is dry. light is on. now filled with fluid. cannot drive it much 'cept in the drive. plenty of lines to check for leaks etc. seals are inside the transfercase mounted behind the tranmission $$$$ to replace. transfercase that is. some mentions of 4matic light fix with a new brake light switch at the pedal assembly<20$. my light is on but it still pulls with all 4 wheels (icy driveway) bummer right now to drive because of the exhaust. my guy in Albuquerque got on speakerphone with fastlane guy and I heard him groan about the transfercase but said his problems with rebuilds were usually his guys not doing it right. He used lots of colorful language. not a lot of hours once on the bench and you have the seals apparently iwould not be afraid of it. gas mileage not too good or at least as bad as a e420 so dont really know where Ill go with this. keep searching sites .. may be you want a parts car? cant figure out how to get this home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh..Knocking noise while backing up?.. on my 88 TE I had a noise and it was broken spring on brake pad .. just a thought

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bummer about the exhaust problem on your 300TE. I've thought about a parts car but have decided to not go that route. Back to the seals in the transfer case pistons you mentioned. Can they be replaced, or would you be looking at replacing the transfer case completely? Can a leak in the transfer case pistons be visible outside the transfer case?

Also, is it possible for those seals to leak/spray oil up onto the pump and surrounding components in the engine bay?

Anyone had to replace or rebuild the transfer case recently? Care to share the cost?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am the newish owner of a 1992 TE. The PO replaced the Transfer case last year at a cost of about $2500.

I believe when the seals leak, there is no evidence externally until there is a leakage of fluid due to the introduction of hydraulic fluid into the transmission.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for sharing! What you say makes sense. I've recently added hydraulic oil to the reservoir but haven't driven the car more than ten miles in the last couple of weeks. I've noticed a medium-sized spot on the driveway-assuming it's the hydraulic oil now that there is some back in the system.

From where might it leak specifically?

Are the 124's with the 4Matic system prone to leaking lines anywhere?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts