Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

starting a thread here as recommended by a user on MBworld.org.

trying to get specfics from other owners of 300te 4matics, in regards to front strut replacement options, at stock height, no lowering involved.

While i want to install new struts by Bilstein.The only options i've been able to find that fit the 4matic variant specficially have been Sachs & Mercedes OEM;

did some further research here;

information i've collected points to B4 bilsteins front struts, do not fit the 4matic specific variant of the 300te model. While they would fit a 300te non-4matic variation , to clarify.

Mercedes part # 1243204430 - is the only option, Either an OEM Mercedes brand replacement or SACHS, for the front struts.

If anyone is able to debate this and has installed a different front strut brand please confirm. Again i have a '91 300te 4matic stock suspension height.

thanks all.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,040 Posts
The 4Matics are completely different on the front end i.e. suspension, hence why I call them W125s.

AFAIK, the only choice is OE MB and Sachs. Bilstein does not make anything that fits the unique W124 4Matic front end.

I do love how easy ball joint replacement is on the 4Matics vs. the standard W124. However, that is the only thing I love about the first gen 4Matics.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,241 Posts
Hi All,

starting a thread here as recommended by a user on MBworld.org.

trying to get specfics from other owners of 300te 4matics, in regards to front strut replacement options, at stock height, no lowering involved.

While i want to install new struts by Bilstein.The only options i've been able to find that fit the 4matic variant specficially have been Sachs & Mercedes OEM;

did some further research here;

information i've collected points to B4 bilsteins front struts, do not fit the 4matic specific variant of the 300te model. While they would fit a 300te non-4matic variation , to clarify.

Mercedes part # 1243204430 - is the only option, Either an OEM Mercedes brand replacement or SACHS, for the front struts.

If anyone is able to debate this and has installed a different front strut brand please confirm. Again i have a '91 300te 4matic stock suspension height.

thanks all.
If the Sachs are still made in Germany, go with them. That's what I used last go-around and they were German......but that's been a few yrs and parts originality has changed greatly. It's also what came on the car new.

As Steve said, DON'T start subbing in 2WD parts on a 4Matic car. The 4Matic parts just weren't tacked on at the factory. The car was tooled up and made on a separate assembly line.

Kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. I’m leaning towards the Sachs replacements, along with replacing strut top mounts. I’m beginning to determine if I’ll replace the front springs , which again are specific to the 4-Matic variant of this car. Any suggestions on brand and part # would be helpful as I haven’t been able to find these springs yet. Thank you all.

·
Registered
17,040 Posts
Good luck finding front end W124 4Matic springs. They're NLA, although I did find a few NOS (new old stock) front springs several years back. Pretty sure they're long gone by now.

Don't cheap out on the strut mounts, such as Febi-Bilstein garbage (not related to the Bilstein shocks, completely different companies). Stick with brand new genuine OE, or if you absolutely must Meyle HD version. I don't like Meyle, but their HD version of the strut mounts seems to be holding up long term.

·
Registered
W124
4,829 Posts
Stick with brand new genuine OE, or if you absolutely must Meyle HD version. I don't like Meyle, but their HD version of the strut mounts seems to be holding up long term.
I got Meyle's from FCP Euro. As for Steve's comment about W125, I almost spit out my cola. Good one Steve!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noted on the strut mounts and on the springs. Hopefully the springs are good as is and don’t need replacement. Anyone have a part # for these 4-Matic specific springs?

Once I update front end and new rear brakes, this 300te 4matic is hitting the road, all new fluids throughout, 125k on the clock, and no lights on the dash : )

·
Premium Member
10,241 Posts
Everything tells in about five yrs on the mounts. If they have cracked some, you got ripped. Springs were out there OE but have magically disappeared. An alignment shop will probably tell you that your springs are keeping you from being in the 'green' on their machines, but more likely, it the LCA bushings. Unless the car has been abused, I would spend my money elsewhere rather than springs.

Don't think a wish and prayer will make your 4Matic system work again. There are key elements that wear out in time/mileage. If for example, your TC hasn't been replaced with a factory reman, it WILL fail you categorically. Low nitrogen in the little hydraulic valve's accumulator will give you erratic 4Matic performance at low speeds. A leaking pressure transducer will eventually cause the 4Matic system to fail. Brake light switch, steering wheel sensor, leaks in the rubber HP line from the PS pump, rusted stator teeth on the front axles, bad ABS wheel sensors......and I can go on and on. You'll need a limited slip additive in the rear diff.

You can drive it now and pay the piper later, or you can investigate all its varies systems for issues.....your choice.

Kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Kevin. This is good detail to be aware of as it seems you have experience in this model. I'll check into the LCA bushings. Great to see your 300TE 4matic continues to roll forward! Any other insight would be really helpful. Feel free to PM me, i'm really excited about this vehicle.

Springs aren't showing any cracks, just both front shocks are beat and will be replaced in coming weeks. I figured i'd pose the question here for any line on replacements if needed. Sounds like that may be a challege, but i'm okay for the time being. If anyone does have a part #, i'd take it for future reference.

As of today and for previous owner, 4matic system is working great. Albeit a 30 year old car is bound to have issues. I had a Merc mechanic comb over it and i seem to have lucked out here.I plan to run this as my daily driver 10 miles to work and back each day.

·
Premium Member
10,241 Posts
This is my second one...the first one being an original car I bought new. I know a lot about 4Matics....it's kind of my thing.

I wouldn't rely on any current MB mechanics for the 4Matic part. Unless they are old or retired, they didn't train on it and it's literally Greek to them. There is absolutely no commonality between the first gen 4Matics and the present open diff system MB uses.

I can't emphasize enough about the transfer case....they ALL failed from the factory. I got 115,000 miles on my original. The one in my present TE is a reman and failed. It's got the factory reman plate on the side, but I see red RTV sealer on the case joints and I know sure as hell, no factory licensed rebuilder used that stuff. It's possible you have an original TC that hasn't failed yet, but more probable you have a reman. I can send you a pic of the plate and location on the TC if you like.

Once sorted, the 4Matics are fine DD's....that's the only thing I've ever done with them. I never pampered them....they have to work for me.

Kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A pic of the plate and location Would be great, carfax shows 4 Matic maintenance at 100k interval, this could have been a reman installation.
The mechanic I’m working with specializes in foreign and obscure, they do have some 50-60 year old mechanics there so they do have some historical knowledge. But I do agree with you that this gen 1 4matic is definitely different tha. The gem 2 and beyond.

I may reach out for future advice I’m sure! Thanks so much for your help here in the immediate, mich appreciated.

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,462 Posts
*pwogaman

·
Premium Member
10,241 Posts
And in addition to that, I have a diagram of a setup using a grease gun to create enough pressure to bench bleed the repaired TC before install.....

Kevin

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just changed my front shock absorbers and after that brake wear visit workshop on the dashboard malfunction started showing ... Is there anyway I can go about that please ....
Any help?

·
Registered
17,040 Posts
Start your own thread since you have a different problem.

Possibilities are worn brake pads, disconnected brake pad sensors, or damaged wiring.

The sensors are not reusable if the plastic has worn through showing bare wiring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts