Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Ford/chevy/
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I stumbled upon this great site looking up info on a 1982 300td wagon. My friend is selling his wagon for $1500. For me a little less. It has 235,000 miles, body is is good to great shape. Valves adjusted about 4000 miles ago, along with tune up. Air condtioning partially works. Suspension is in working order. Interior is in good to great shape. Updated stereo and speakers. Transmission seems to shift a little firm,but does not appear to slip.
Is this a fair deal, and if I dump another 1k into the car is it realastic for it to last another 70k.

Also is it fairly easy to work on the 300td series.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Fair Price

This is a fair price. The load leveling system in the rear is not critical for driving, but if you need to reapir it, plan on $1,000. The climate control system is simple, but also expensive to fix. Plan on another $800. The brakes are fairly straightforward to maintain. Pads $20 and rotors $30 plus labor another $200. The transmission is a bit more expensive to replace about $1,200 used, $1,800 rebuilt. Does he have any service records? Frequent oil changes would be the key to the longevity of the engine. The engine is good to 300,000 most times before a major overhaul. No rust anywhere I guess. Body repair is a whole issue itself! You will like the solid feel of this wagon on the raod. They are excellent haulers!
[:D]

·
Registered
Ford/chevy/
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend is the 2nd owner of the car. The car was purchased at a dealer at about 160k mil...

My friend is the 2nd owner of the car. The car was purchased at a dealer at about 160k miles with all service records up to 160k. There is minimal rust, rear hatch has a liitle inside, which i believe is typical of a Northeast Benz. I do most of the work on my cars, including engine rebuilds, rears, brakes springs etc. Brakes are new, tires are good, and starts right up.

I would like to fix the climate control. That is really the only problem at this time.

Any thing else I should look at?

Thanks for the info!!

[:)]

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Climate Control

The monovalve is on the firewall under the hood. It is simple to repair. You might want to start there. If the control buttons on the dash are inoperative, you can find those units used for cheap. New around $400. The a/c compressor is not too expensive, around $200. You should change it over to the ozone friendly freon unless he has already done it. Check the return fuel lines in the spare tire well. Old age causes them to drip sometimes, dripping fuel into the well and onto the ground. Not dangerous, but smelly!

·
Registered
Ford/chevy/
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 'monovale

The 'monovalve". I can't seem to get the search to work.

What is a Monovalve, and it's function?

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
Monovalve

The monovalve is a diaphram type valve that controls the flow of heated coolant into the A/C heater block. This valve is normally open, and is energized by a solenoid to closed everytime you start the car and don't turn on the heater.

Since it cycles so much, the diaphram usually tears, allowing hot water into the heater block which heats your A/C/ regardless of what temperature is set. If you feel that your A/C isn't working effectively, this is the first thing to check- it's located against the firewall, in the engine compartment, toward the passenger side. There's a clip-on electrical connection on top, and two coolant hoses connected to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.