Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!! Today I found a nice 300TD (forgot the year) Wagon in Minneapolis burried under the snow at a used car lot. I have never owned a W123 or a Diesel benz and would be very excited to own one. We tried starting it and it turns over but no start. We pushed it into the heated garage and I'll be there tomorrow morning to try again. We thought that the fuel might be frozen (or any of the fuel lines) since the temperatures were below 0F (-20C) for the past few weeks. Is there an additive for Diesel engines which prevents the fuel from freezing? Anyway, the car seemed to sit quite low and since the car was completely stock I don't think that someone actually lowered the car. Does it have air suspension which operates only when the car is running and it drops lower when the engine is turned off?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I could not locate the Turbo charger. Is it located below the air filter? What was t...

Also, I could not locate the Turbo charger. Is it located below the air filter? What was the first production year when Mercedes used a Turbo on their wagons in US Market?

Thanks again for all your help!!

Igor Zeljic (Minneapolis)

·
Registered
190 2.3-16
61 Posts
What year is the (W123) wagon? It may be non-turbo.

1981 was the first year of the OM...

What year is the (W123) wagon? It may be non-turbo.

1981 was the first year of the OM617 turbo engines from Mercedes Benz.

The suspension is a hydrualic type which is driven off a pump on the front of the head.

[:eek:)]

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
52 Posts
You can buy STP fuel additive for it, its about $2-$3, make sure you get the diesel one th...

You can buy STP fuel additive for it, its about $2-$3, make sure you get the diesel one tho, it comes in a light blue bottle. Sounds like a good find, hopefully you can get it for cheap, i got my 240D for $800, but i think it has low compression, and i need to put about $400 into it to get it running well, but it was worth it [:D] have fun!

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
This 300TD may be a naturally inspired diesel. The T in TD stands for Tourisk as with a...

This 300TD may be a naturally inspired diesel. The T in TD stands for Tourisk as with all the Estates. The Estate Turbo Diesels have "Turbo Diesel" spelt out on the right hand side of the tailgate.
The turbo on these diesels are large units located on the left side of the engine behind the alternator but slightly higher up and should be easy to spot. The suspension is a hydro-pneumatic self levelling type, but only on the rear and shouldn't drop as noticeably as say the Citroens. The Turbo Diesel was offered in the estates in October 1980, a year earlier than in the saloons.

In my opinion the W123 T-series estates are one of the grandest looking Mercedes built and if it’s a good one go for it. Obviously check the usual things like rust around the wheel arches, inner wings (near battery and bonnet hinges) and under side especially behind the rear wheels.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Indestructible!

I bought my first 300 TD Wagon six year ago today, Valentine's Day, in 1997. It was a 1982 model. And since that time I have owned an '83, two '84's and two '85's. You can find the parts easily and what a pleasure to drive! The engine is unique because of the hydraulic pump that pumps fluid to the rear suspension. Many times this complex arrangement needs attention. If it is shot, it won't make any difference if the engine is running or not. It will sit about six inches lower at the rear. Quite drivable despite the rear sitting lower. I have fixed two of these, but if you don't haul heavy loads, I don't know that it's worth the expense. Be sure your compression is good. Hope everything works out![:D]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.