Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1998 300TD (diesel) and drove it home from Virginia without issue. Unfortunately, I let the gas get down to very close to empty and a couple of days later it started having problems with cold starting (would start up immediately, then die after about a second...then I would have to sit and 'crank' it for 20-30 seconds to get it to start up again). If it was warmed up, this wouldn't be an issue.

I talked to a friend who owns a diesel (this is my first) and he said it sounded like I had fouled my fuel filter and I should replace it.

I bought a new fuel filter which I completely filled with diesel. I looked for some type of a 'bleeder valve' for fuel/air but didn't see anything. I took the old filter off, put the new filter on, and it took about a minute or so of cranking for the car to start. Then it 'cold started' just fine (and has continued to start fairly easily since that time).

The problem now is that when the engine is cold, now it doesn't have power...it's like it is completely starved for fuel...it hasn't completely stalled yet, but it will come fairly close to it (especially when going up hills or under load).

Any ideas what may be causing this? I looked in multiple threads, but didn't see anything that seemed to line up properly (could be looking in the wrong place also).

Thanks,
-Scott

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
There are two fuel filters on your car, one prefilter and one main fuel filter. Did you replace both? Did you replace the rubber O rings when you did? If not, that could be the problem, i.e. air being sucked in. The O rings must be replaced when changing the fuel filter. Do not reuse the old one. Do you see bubbles in the fuel lines when the car is running? Another big issue on these cars is leaking fuel lines that allows air in the system. Do you see any wet spots on any of the fuel lines you can see? Is the bottom of the injection pump wet? Are the delivery valves wet?

Len

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,492 Posts
The small fuel tubings and orings leaks is common issue on those engines. I just replaced whole set of them for around $70 from Duval. I posted parts numbers in another topic.
Don't think this is filter issue, although not knowing the filter age it is good idea to replace it.
Welcome to the forum

1 - 3 of 3 Posts