Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 420SEL
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've purchased an 83 300td on Ebay. This car comes with an 80 300td as a parts car. I was told that the parts car has a cracked head and that is all that is really wrong with it. I'm considering on repairing it .[8D] My question is..... Can I use the motor out of my 300sd. I know that the rear suspension is involved with it and was wondering if there might be any sugestions[:D]

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
300 TD Parts Car

The problem is that the head on the wagon has a special cut out for the suspension pump. There is a way to remove the 300 TD engine and put a 300 D head on it for a sedan, but in order to use the wagon, you will have to find a 300 TD head. There has been a thread on this forum discussing the possibilty of setting up a more traditional suspension of the wagon and bypassing the factory suspension. The cost would be the factor. Used heads for the wagon are few and hard to find. It took me two months to find a complete engine when mine finally gave up at 340,000 miles. I could have repaired it, but found an engine for $1,500. Another $1,000 to swap out. The bearings were shot and the crank too on the old one. If you would like to find a head for your parts car, let me know and I can suggest some places to look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.