Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300SL 107, SL55, E350 S212, E350 W212
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,

The 300SL is progressing nicely with a recent new hood fitted.

I have a slight issue that maybe someone can offer advise on though.

Recently the car was in for MOT (which it passed with flying colours) however, as the car was in the garage i asked them to replace the fuel filter. Since then, the car is reluctantly to start (only when hot. it starts fine when cold) and requires the throttle pedal to be depressed in order to start. It them misfires for a few seconds and is then ok.

This has only occurred since the fuel filter has been replaced. Is it possible that the garage fitted the filter the wrong way round ? causing fuel starvation?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,169 Posts
That's unlikely as it would affect road driving more than starting.

The classic cause of hot start issues is a failing/failed fuel accumulator which is also in the fuel pump cluster, however I can't imagine how their replacing the fuel filter could have damaged it.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,475 Posts
It is not possible to install the filter backwards. You describe a symptom of fuel accumulator failure. The accumulator keeps pressure in the system to help with hot starts. What they could have done is not get the lines sealed properly and there is a small leak allowing pressure to bleed off.

·
Registered
300SL 107, SL55, E350 S212, E350 W212
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not possible to install the filter backwards. You describe a symptom of fuel accumulator failure.
Thanks. I didn't know whether it was possible to fit the filter back to front (i.e incorrect flow direction) so thanks for clarifying.

I think it must be a problem has surfaced with the accumulator when the filter was changed - so it looks like a new accumulator is required :-(

There don't seem to be any leaks and the car won't start without throttle depression when hot and then misfires for about 10 seconds and then clears.

Is there anyway of testing the accumulator or is it possible they've incorrectly plumbed this when having everything apart?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts