Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I'm buying one of these beauties. <p>I know I want a V-8 engine and the 108/109 body. I'm still deciding whether:<br>- I want the 3.5 liter or 4.5 liter engine. <br> Same horsepower??<br> Reliability??<br> Euro vs. US specs??<br> Parts?? <br>- I want the 108 chassis with the coil-spring suspension or the 109 chassis with the pneumatic suspension.<br> Is the air suspension worth it??<br> Drive and handling??<br> Parts and repair cost??<p>Does anybody have any advice, suggestions, comments, concerns etc. about either model or engine. Anything you'll say will help one way or another.<p>Thanks in advance<p>Javier<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Javier,<br> <br> I have a '72 300 SEL 4.5 that I would like to sell. Exterior/Interior/Mechanicals all in great shape. I am the original owner. 125,000 miles. Needs minimal work on the air suspension and brakes but is worth it. Nothing rides like the air suspension. This car can really go. You can creep up on 100-120 mph WAY too easily! See the classifieds. REALLY easy project to get back in absolute near mint condition. <br> <br> Craig

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not had the 4.5 version but had both the 3.5 with air suspension and the 2.8 with coil springs.No question that the air suspension gives a better ride however I had so much trouble with control valves on the air suspension that I ended up converting it to coils. Used to settle down overnight onto the mufflers,and generally leak.<br> Both 3.5s and 4.5s have similar engine problems,usually sensors.<br> <br> Adrian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts