Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '88 300 SEL(202K), which seems to have desided not to start. It turns over and feeds fuel but there's no ignition. Sound like any thig you've seen before?
I'm hoping its just a coil but with that many miles I have a feeling it may be more.[xx(]
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Start with the basics: cap, rotor, coil, wires and plugs.
A check of the OVP, fuel pump relay, and the fuses in the box would be next as they have been known to inhibit starting.

If the above look good a check of the ignition module output to the coil may be in order with a voltmeter to make sure the reading is steady. Next would be the six inputs to the module for the cam sensor, coolant temp sensor, crankshaft position sensor, CIS data, throttle valve switch, and MAS

Failing that the crank and cam sensors should be checked.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
OK, here it is in a nut shell.
C.I.A.F

Compression
Ignition
Air
Fuel

Do it in that order and you'll always find your problem...
Oh yea, it would also help to have a diagnostic flow chart. should be able to google one up.

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car fuel isnt a prob I can smell that. and I replaced the plugs and wires. I think its down to the rotor, capacitor or ignition module. Any avice on narrowing that down?

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuel isnt a prob I can smell that. and I replaced the plugs and wires. I think its down to the rotor, capacitor or ignition module. Any avice on narrowing that down?
Im rather positive it isn't 02 but I believe it does have a prob w/ compression(aside from the indicator coming on). The car seems to have some trouble while idling, it clears up some once warm however it does bog down at times, usualy the most inoportune.
Any thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts