Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C230k Sport Sedan; 1999 Toyota 4Runner
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have searched for an answer to this, I've found relevant threads on this topic and it appears they have gone unsolved. Maybe it's just the keywords I'm using, I'm not sure.

Anyway, my ex girlfriend has been driving a 92 300SE for about 6 years. It has 240k. Daddy spent lots of money keeping her happy, 22 pages of $ervice record$ to prove it. She's taking off to San Fran and doesn't need the car, so I've been selling it for her.

First and foremost, the car has been having some overheating issues lately. She took it to some nut who used to own the car (owns a tire and brake shop, doesn't belong near Mercs I feel) and he says he adjusted the cooling fans which has actually been helping the temperature a lot. The overheating never got to the point of smoke, but certainly boiling and pissing coolant from the overflow. (highest was the 120C mark, now it idles around 80-90C)

There's a really nice gentleman who really wants the car, it's in fantastic shape for the price I'm asking, but it's coming out with new problems by the day. The first test drive he went on, the car began to overheat. He left and came back the next day, the car ran fine until it began to shake very badly, a misfire type shake, where power literally disappears regardless of throttle position. Flooring it, even in low gear, hardly moves the car at all. Once the car stalls or is turned off, it starts right back up again like nothing ever happened! Only to drive another mile or two before it happens again. She claims that the problem has been ongoing, but used to happen once every month or so. Now it's multiple times per drive.

He took off again much to my dismay. After letting the car cool down, we took it over to In N Out, about a 8 mile round trip. The car did it's dance once and was fine after pulling over and restarting after a minute or two. No CEL, nothing.

I have noticed some moisture near the #1 cylinder which suggests the head gasket has blown (it's been wet like that for a long long time, it happened a while ago), but the car ran just fine.

I'm completely stuck here, I was thinking electrical. Oddly, when the car is at idle, revving the motor is choppy and it's clear that something's wrong (but does not feel apparent when driving until IT happens). I figured if cylinder 1 isn't making compression (or if the problem is mechanical at all) that the car should not exhibit these problems intermittently.

I work for Fletcher Jones MBZ in Newport, I was hoping to find a quicker answer here than donate more money to this money pit.

The next time I take it for a spin, I'll have to get a video, but unfortunately my iPhone's screen is broken to bits and wont show anything.

Thanks for any help... if anyone is interested in the car, it's available in Orange County, CA. I was asking $2k for it (lots of maintenance, new stereo/amps, clean paint/interior, salvaged title from small accident) Someone offered $1200 as is and I didn't want to accept something so low...

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300SE W140

·
Registered
1996 Mercedes-Benz S320L
174 Posts
Check the engine wires harness, the older W140 had a problem with the wiring harness, the wires insulator would disintegrate and bare wires would contact each other making all sort of electrical short problems. The ETA wires also have this problem so check that too.

Can you provide what kind of service the car got?

Car looks really clean.

·
Registered
1995 mercedes S420
228 Posts
Check the engine wires harness, the older W140 had a problem with the wiring harness, the wires insulator would disintegrate and bare wires would contact each other making all sort of electrical short problems. The ETA wires also have this problem so check that too.

Can you provide what kind of service the car got?

Car looks really clean.
i totally agree with you. i had a similar problem and the problem was the harness wire.

·
Registered
2005 C230k Sport Sedan; 1999 Toyota 4Runner
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys. Sold the car Friday morning to the same fellow who test drove it those two times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts