Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New water pump and thermostat, flushed system but still overheating - not just heating up like this model does when slowing down, this a serious overheating problem, right on up to 120C. Like many of this model have had the oil to water seepage problem but have flushed system a couple times past 6 years and overheating never has been problem (even hot weather driving) until just very recently, now it doesn't matter, am living in cold weather, it's overheating, something is clearly wrong!

So came hear looking for good solid ideas about what it may be or what is a fix?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never received reply to question "how to tell if fan clutch bad"? So did a bit more research and found another thread here which said the fan needs to feel stiff or provide some resistance when spun by hand when at operating temp. If it spins freely it is bad.

Any feedback about this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't get answers needed so kept plodding along and now all systems working well. In my case, although replacing WP & thermo which likely didn't actually need to be done - seems problem all along was all the sludge built up in system due to Mercedes design errors, the leaking and mixing of oil into coolent and my neglect of not flushing system for too long.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Did you flush your radiator on the car?

I think that the best way is to remove it completely so that it can be inverted and given a good shake. It's a pity that there is not an easy way to determine that the flow through the coolant system is being restricted.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,853 Posts
I would post this in the w126 forum. I did a quick search with "overheating" appearing in the thread title and there were a couple pages of results. If you look through those results, you might find an answer to your questions. It looks like you are running out of stuff to replace! But the guys on the w126 should be able to help. If you end up needing to replace something and you need instructions, pm me. I can send you the pdf.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks much for help! Problem likely was mostly due to too much sludge built up in system from the oil mixing with coolent engine design flaw and not having done a good flush in quite a while. And fan clutch is weak so think problem was probably a number of things all adding up to problem. Can't be sure if it was water pump or thermostat, replaced both, did best flush I could, all seems normal now.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,853 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts