Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how big a PITA is swapping out the "old style" belt tensioner on the 300SE ('92)? Mine is on it's last legs and I've got all the new parts coming in this week (tensioner assembly/shock/adjusting screw/new belt.) I've read all the threads about the process and it still looks like a major pain.

Also, how do you get the fan & clutch off for some additional clearance? There's doesn't seem to be much room to maneuver in that area without removing the radiator and whatnot.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
I can send you the instructions for the actual tensioner, I may have some for the car

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
I have sent the engine part and the other one will follow

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it! That one PDF gave me more insight into what the job consists of than any of the threads I've read.

The parts have started arriving (tensioner assembly arrived today) so hopefully everything will be here by this weekend...three different suppliers.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TELEVISION....

If you're still out there in cyberspace somewhere, could you possibly resend the belt tensioner R&R link? Or, if ANYONE has that info, could you possibly post it or email it to me? I've got to R&R the smog pump and figured I'd put a new adjusting rod on the tensioner while I'm in there.

I had the file saved but not anymore. I've got a new laptop and the PDF died with the old one.

Thanks!

·
W124 Moderator
12,605 Posts
Doni

Drop into the W124 forum and click on the DIY sticky. There, you'll find links for the factory service manual. Several year model 124's share the same motor as your 140. R/R procedures are clear for the tensioner as well as the fan clutch.

Good luck

·
Registered
465 Posts
If my sanity has not left me...it is righty loosely, lefty tighty on the adjuster shaft threads. Check that though. The most important aspect of the job is to have the pivot locking fastener loose before the adjuster is turned.

The rubber tensioner on my 96 m104 is a blessing...it only takes a quarter turn to pull the belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts