Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 300SDL and several that I have seen rolling down the road have a lean to the left, i.e. the left side (drivers side) is about 1/2 inch lower than the right side. The car rides great. I take the local speed bumps at 35mph and hardly know they are there unlike my pickup that bounces around.

Any fixes other than new springs?

If not what are your experiences with lowering springs?

Any other thoughts?

Nathan Keith
1986 300SDL
1965 230SL
2004 F150
2001 PT Cruiser

·
Registered
1977 300d (turbo not stock)
58 Posts
hope this helps

maybe putting some spring boosters , we sell them at my work and they are cheap , well twist in ones and some rubber ones , im sure you can get them at any auto store .. they are made by mr gasket.

here is a link i found to show you what they look like Mr. Gasket 1283 Coil Spring Booster Jumbo
im not sure if that will fix it but its worth trying imo .

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,102 Posts
MBs often seem to lean, its a common phenomenon.
You could try different rubber shims on one side or the other.

·
Premium Member
560SEC, 190E, Frontier, 240Z
1,329 Posts
Mine leaned with stock springs so I bought H&R springs.
Still leaned to the left (Rear only, Front is right on the money).
I ended up putting in different spring perch rubbers (MB part) to level it out in the rear.

I even thought it might be SLS related, but tested with SLS Rams removed and still had the leans.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,456 Posts
I used the twist-in spring spacers my94svt referred to. I put two in the front left spring and two in the left rear spring. The car sits nice and level now.

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL W126
263 Posts
The shims or spacers (the cheap rubber inserts or twist inserts, not talking about the actual spring pad spacers) are a quick way to fix it, albeit far from the best way. Kind of like putting stop leak in a leaking radiator, hides the problem for a bit but not repairing it properly could cause more damage down the road.

Accumulators affect ride height as I found on mine. I gained almost an inch of rear ride height when I replaced mine and it brought the car closer to level side to side as well without doing anything else. I was originally almost 3/4" different from left to right on the rear and afterwards, it was less than a 1/4". I would give your trailing arm bushings a good look as well, a little bit of an offset at those can make a big difference in the ride height. There is also a lot of posts on here that rear diff mount bushings can affect ride height as well.

Best way to measure for ride height is to measure from the top center of the fender to center hub with the car on level ground. Of course, check tire pressures and make sure tread wear is similar depth.

I would start with the accumulators first, the difference in the ride with new ones on is nothing short of amazing and they aren't that expensive or hard to do.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,500 Posts
Mine leaned to right (maybe RHD effect ?)at the rear only. Springs were old and high mileage so I changed them - its perfect now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts