Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I am working on a 1984 Mercedes 300SD Diesel rebuilding the vacuum pump. As I was washing the parts (i.e. the end cap where the piston is) I changed the cleaning fluid and found two small parts that I had not seen before. One of the pieces is made of stainless steel and the other is plastic. The plastic piece is about 3/8 in. big around and is a four shape on one end and round on the other. The metal piece is about 3/8 in. big around has star three tabs on it. Does someone have an idea what these pieces are? The plastic piece looks like it might go in the aluminum top. I have taken some pictures but I'm new here and don't know how to upload them. My email is [email protected]. Email me and I can send you the pictures if that will help.
Thanks for any help because I can not find any diagrams on the internet to show these parts.:surrender:
Thank You Very Much,
Tom Allard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like parts of check valve, but sure pictures would be nice.
You can download pictures on other site like photobucket and than hotlink it here.
I have uploaded a few pictures of the "mysterious pieces" from my vacuum pump. Someone please help with this problem. The pictures are in an album named Vacuum Pump (odd pieces). Thanks to all!

·
Registered
35,777 Posts
I found the album in your profile, but the forum is acting and it will not open.
When you get a chance to get url of the picture, link them on this page putting the address between

·
Registered
35,777 Posts

Net is really slow today. Those look definitely like part of check valve, but not seeing the housing I can't say how they fit.
From my experience I would say you are missing a ball in the set, but this is just wild guess.
Doubt too many owners ever went to pump rebuild like you do, but as fly suggested, repost in W126 and check the W123 section.
Than you can take apart the pump from other MB you own.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help with this pump rebuild. I finally found out what these pieces were. I went to the junk yard to just go ahead and buy a pump. As I was pulling it off, I just happened to notice the part that I was looking for down inside a fitting on the top of the pump where the vacuum line attaches. It was what looked like a fitting between the pump and the vacuum line. I just happened to see the top of the plastic piece down inside of this fitting. I took the fitting off and the stainless piece was on the bottom and had a spring in between. I guess mine had come apart on my original one and just fallen down into the pump. This was probably the cause of the failure of my pump. I just thought I'd send this to you just in case you ever run into this problem again. Again, thanks for your help.
Tom Allard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts