Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1983 300sd. lately when i have started the car sometimes it does not start. the starter (i think) makes a terrible noise when i turn the key to start it and you can hear it make a winding noise. then i wait a minute or so and try to start it again. usually on the second try it starts up, but it has taken 3 times sometimes. it seems to happen
much more often on cold starts. it sounds like the starter is working, but not catching or doing what it is supposed to do- i dunno all the mechanics involved which is why i am posting this problem here.

i dunno if this is related, but recently the fan for the heat has stopped blowing. none of the buttons including the high/low fan buttons seem to work. since i have owned the car when i turn it off, it almost always keeps running, even with the key out (i just tap the brake and it stops). but since i have been having this starter problem, the car will shut off immidiately when i turn the key to off. i know both of these things are influenced by the car's vacuum system, but i am not sure if these issues are related to the starting problem. then, just today, my radio has stopped working - i mean it
just does not come on- it is like there is no power to it. i changed the fuse for it, but that didn't seem to help. i am going to replace all the fuses (if i can find some that fit) and see if that helps, but if it doesn't i dunno what else to do.

so, i dunno if all these problems are related - but since i have been having the starting problem all these other things stopped working within a week or so.

any ideas? anything i need to explain more that might help please let me know. thanks to all replies!

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Wow. It sounds like you've got a bunch of things building up on you. A good friend of mine has the motto that, "If there's one thing wrong, I can live with it, but as soon as there are two things wrong I fix them both because it seems to go down hill very quickly from there."

The HVAC problems and failure of the engine to turn off with the key are both almost certainly related to a failing, or failed, vacuum pump, or a leak in the vacuum lines somewhere. If the power brakes still work fine, then maybe all you have is a leak in one of the lines coming into the passenger compartment somewhere. You can look at the vacuum hoses, especially the rubber T's and unions, to see if you find a crack. But someone who's familiar with diagnosing that vacuum system could probably go straight to the root cause in about 20 minutes with the car in front of them.

The radio problem is most likely either a fuse or bad ground, or loose plug or something. Can't help too much with that one.

The starter sounds like it has a problem that mine has had for years. Mine seems to manifest itself only when it's really cold, like below zero F, and works fine the rest of the time. Mine has a bad Bendix drive. That's the one-way clutch on the end of the starter motor shaft. This clutch is supposed to grab and hold tight as long as the starter is driving the engine, but when the engine starts running faster than the starter, this little clutch lets go so the engine doesn't drive the starter. What happens with mine is that when it's cold, the Bendix drive doesn't grab. Everything else about the starter works normally, it spins like mad, but the clutch is slipping so the starter shfat doesn't drive the little gear that is engaged to the flywheel. After it does this once or twice, the spinning warms it up enough that it grabs on teh second or third try.

It is possible to buy the Bendix drive alone, but they usually cost about $20, and you still have to do all the labor to pull the starter out and put it back in, plus take the starter apart to replace the Bendix drive. Some stuff like getting the starter motor brushes back in place when assembling the starter can be pretty tricky, so most people don't bother replacing the Bendix drive, they just replace the whole starter. A whole replacement Bosch starter should be available from a big chain auto parts store, or even teh internet, for about $150.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im with Dave, sounds like the bendix shaft,worn gear or spring. You can try to get under the car with a can of your favorite light oil (penetrating oil) and try spraying inside the starter, where it meets the flywheel. Spray the gear and shaft, then enguage it, do it two or 3X. Check all your grounds for good contact. Check to make sure the starter bolts are all tight. Worst case it's the flywheel. It could be missing or have chipped teeth and it's not letting the bendix gear mesh properly into the fly wheel. In any case get it fixed, because a crappy starter can eat up a fly wheel, then your really into the bucks. [:0]

·
Registered
mercedes 300sel
143 Posts
For the starter problem, ive had that problem for a while. i was running with that problem for a while and then one day it just didnt turn anymore. u can try to ignore that for a long as you want, but its a warning that it will break. maybe a month maybe more or less, but u will need to replace that.
dont be like me and wait, i had to pay 100$ for a tow plus alot of money to get the starter shiped to me asap and 1 week without a car which sucks. you can get a starter for prety cheap so i sugest you change that soon unles you want to pay for a tow which sucks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks so much for the replies guys!

oddly enough, on a few hour trip today the radio randomly started working again. [:D] i am gonna check the plugs in the back of the radio (aftermarket) to make sure everything is plugged in well (although i have no idea how they could have come loose). the fuse for it (#9, i believe) is good.

my power brakes are working fine so hopefully my vacuum pump is working properly. of course, replacing the vac pump would be an easy fix (although, kind of pricy) since it is easily accessable, as opposed to checking foot after foot of hidden vacuum lines. i have suspected a leak in one or some of my vacuum lines since i have had the car. my power door locks have never worked, as well as the ignition and climate control problems i mentioned previously. i would like to get my power door locks working - i first need to replace the exterior driver's side door pull since the locking mechanism has fallen apart inside the keyhole - i cannot even insert the key in it. i have a good, functioning replacement for this (with a different key, unfortunately), but i thought why replace it if the power locks don't work anyway? the ignition problem (when the car continues to run) doesn't really bother me. and the climate control, from what i have heard, is a beast on its own, requiring dash removal and hours of labor to troubleshoot. and the climate control unit is not cheap if it needs replacing, ie $240 + $200 core charge from thebenzbin. checking all the vacuum lines seemed like a daunting task DYI and i have dreaded taking it to a dealer to have them diagnose the problem because i thought it would take hours of troubleshooting (labor) to try and find what is wrong. if they could find the problem in about 20 minutes, i would have brought it in long ago. [:)] the vacuum lines and diaphragms are cheap parts. i suppose i could bring it in to find out if and where it is leaking - fix it- and see what problems that fixes, especially if it should only take half an hour of labor to diagnose.

as for the starter, since i have made this post it has been working properly - and i'm not complaining. i have a lot of parts including a non-running 617 engine from a 300sd parts car i bought a year or so ago. a fairly new starter was another nice benefit that came from this parts car. i will look into replacing my starter with this one, since, as i suspected, it will cause more serious problems if it continues to not function properly. anyone know the labor time to replace this starter?

again, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, my starter has started to give me problems again. at least, i think it is the starter. it only has problems on cold starts, when not plugged in. it is really not that cold- only about 35 degrees. most of the time when trying to start it in these situations, it just turns over sluggishly and i have to rev the engine to get it to start. sometimes while doing this (it has taken several attempts at times) you can hear the starter not catch and i hear that winding noise. it is not the battery.

because of the mildly cold weather and sluggish start it it makes me think that the glow plugs are not working...i replaced them all and the relay about 20k miles ago- i can't imagine them going bad again, but i guess it's possible.

any ideas? also, still wondering what the labor time is to replace my starter. thanks all!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need to replace my flywheel. About how long does it take to replace this? Just wondering about labor costs. Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also, i was wondering do i have to replace the 12 flywheel bolts when i replace the flywheel? i remember reading somewhere that if you have to remove these bolts, they have to be replaced. i think the original ones are allen keyed or something, but the replacements for these are 12-point bolts. am i right - are there 12 of them? any other parts i wud need when replacing the flywheel? thanks to all replies!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts