Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

300SD pump timing questions:

807 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  fkellees 
#1 ·
My first question is if someone can give me the correct factory timing spec for a 1983 300SD? I do not have a factory manual and the book I have seems to give a range of 24-26 deg. BTC. Is there that much of a tolerance or is there an exact spec for it??

Also, I am familiar with the *drip method* for setting the diesel pump timing. I've also seen the *lock pins* advertised that hold the timing when the pump is removed. It seems to me that the lock pin would be very accurate at holding timing, is it a substitute for the drip method or do you still need to "drip time" it after installation?

I'm assuming that when the pump drips 1 drip per second, that hole in the pump is @ max. opening. Is this correct? If the lock pin locates the hole wide open, that seems like as accurate as one can get. Am I missing something??

TIA as always...:thumbsup:

#3 ·
I am going by memory and it has been a while but...
The last time I did timing for the fuel pump on this engine was during a head gasket replacment. I had a special mercedes benz shop tool that would illuminate a small light when the pump was in time. This is, in my opinoin, the easiest and best method of timing the fuel pump.
Step one for me would be, find the fuel pump timing tool.

Are you fine tuning the timing or doing major engine work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.