Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300SD
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '82 300SD with 230,000 miles on it, and I run 15W-40. When the engine is hot, the oil pressure needle reads just above the 1. Is it getting too low? Does the oil pump need to be replaced? Or are the main bearings worn and need to be replaced?

·
Registered
1982 300SD
692 Posts
You need to provide just a little more information.
You said that when hot, the oil pressure drops to just above "1". If you are talking about while idling, thats OK. If at any speed above idle, it could be a problem. Oil pressure at any speed above idle should peg the gauge.

·
Registered
300SD
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I am not an idiot, I realize that the oil pressure needle pegs out when accelerating. However, when the oil is hot and thins out, it reads at just above the 1 at idle, and I know that if it reads below the 1, then this is bad. Since the difference bewteen just above the 1 reading, and below the 1 reading is not all that far in comparison, thus the concern, and thus my question.

·
Registered
1982 300SD
692 Posts
Excuse me!
I meant no offense--you seem really angry.
Why?
After all you didn't post all the information that was needed make comment on your situation. Further, your post did not indicate any knowledge of the subject.

·
Registered
300SD
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is this........I am explaining oil preasure at IDLE when the oil is hot. The engine would have blown by now if it only reached just above the 1 under acceleration. And what do you mean by your comment about my post showing no knowledge about he situation??!!!

·
Registered
1982 300SD
692 Posts
Your first post said simply," when the engine is hot, the oil pressure needle reads just above the 1".
No mention of whether at idle, or at speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts