Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300SD, 1983
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, back again, I'm getting all the gremlins out, but new ones seem to come at every corner.
I'm getting the death wobble when braking at over 30 mph, and steering shaking at over 60.
Figured it might be the steering damper, replaced that mofo, the death wobble is considerably diminished, but it still occurs, the steering shake is completely gone though.
The steering is nice and tight...
However, when I'm parked, or trying to do very tight turns, the car moans like a beached whale now, it didn't happen before. Plus, the steering is incredibly hard when I'm not going over 5mph. I noticed my guide road bushings are crippled, so I ordered them.
But I'm wondering, why wasn't there any moaning before, and now there is? Did I do something wrong when I installed the steering damper? I'm pretty sure I put everything right, the "bulb" end towards the passenger side.

·
Registered
300SD, 1983
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
figured it out, high pressure hose from ps pump developed a super leak, my liquid was really, really low. I was just driving like this for a day and a half, I shouldn't have developed any sort of permanent damage to the pump right? I just ordered the new hose, going to replace it as soon as it gets here.

·
Registered
1981 300 SD, 1991 Geo Metro 4-door Automatic
487 Posts
If you've filled it with power steering fluid, and the moan has gone away, then the pump is probably OK.

Check the "Brake Bracing Joint" (nomenclature from the EPC)...it's the ball joint thingie at the end of the rod that goes between the lower control arm and the frame of the car. On my car, when I got it, the one on the left side was so worn out there was about 1/4" play in it, front end clunked, and car shook madly when braking while going down a hill at 60+. Replaced that part (got a junkyard one), clunk and shaking went away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts