Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300GD, 190E
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the newer, 96 liter plastic tank, how far can you drive before the empty light turns on (and stays on)? - I can go 530-590km.

Once the empty light stays on, how far can you generally drive before you sputter to a stop? - I haven't found out yet.

·
Registered
1993 - 250 GD LWB Cabrio Wolf
97 Posts
When I first started buying Mercedes brands in 1986, I was informed that Mercedes designs their automobiles to drive, give or take 20 kilometers, before sputtering to a stop after the light burns steady.

·
Registered
280 ge and 300gd
201 Posts
Whilst for the plastic tanks I cannot answer, I can for a metal tanked unit. The advice is both cautionary and practical
UK miles per gallon based on 4.54 litres to the gallon the gd will cover at best 28mpg and down to about 23mpg if pushed which is in line with printed brocure.

When I drained the tank for repairs I found that the rubber and plastic internal tank screen on the base of the sender was about 1.5 inches from the base, this meant that 2gallons or 9 litres were needed to make up that gap it was there fore not possible to pull to the reasonable bottom of the reserve.

It should also be pointed out that the filter gauze in the internal filter was blocked and that the only way fuel had entered the base was by the drain holes up the side of the level unit and by pumping the diesel circuit on the return, the vehicle had run years like that.

You may find that an apparent rise in tank level after you set off is this reason and not electrical differences. Switch off the engine on level ground and the reserve light may well come on (WARNING).

If you want to check the fuel content reserve remove the fuel sender and from the mesh on its base measure the immersion level in the tank to its base, the difference not being available content.

If the rubber tank filter mesh has any loosenesss or splits in the convoluted tube this will higher the available lift point.

By deepening the pick up, the gauge will read the same but the running reserve will increase and so will the chance of water if pressent being lifted into the engine.Good filter reserve capacity or awater drain is important.

From the mark above reserve to light on is about 25 miles for me.

Please read in relation to your Wagen as there are a lot of tank variations and bottom shapes due to damage.

Dave

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
I was just having this conversation today with a friend.

I had a 300 GD 463 with the plastic tank and I could go at least 50/60 miles on the reserve. He mentioned closer to 100 miles. But the needle on mine would still drop about half a cm when I killed the ignition if that is an indication of anything. I never tested it till it spluttered out though. I would normally get about 375-400 miles per tank - though others I know regularly get 450 miles out of a tank.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,198 Posts
Maxwell Smart - 4/16/2006 4:10 PM

I was just having this conversation today with a friend.

I had a 300 GD 463 with the plastic tank and I could go at least 50/60 miles on the reserve. He mentioned closer to 100 miles. But the needle on mine would still drop about half a cm when I killed the ignition if that is an indication of anything. I never tested it till it spluttered out though. I would normally get about 375-400 miles per tank - though others I know regularly get 450 miles out of a tank.
My data point with a plastic tank: When the light goes on about 20 gallons have been consumed. That is usually 380-400 miles for me. I've regularly gone 80-100 miles after that, once up to 120 miles. Of course, having that reserve light glowing at me has a calming effect on my (already reserved) driving style.

To answer the original question, the light ought to go on at 600+km and you are risking air in the lines after 800km.

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
All this makes sense as when I fill it up just as the light goes on I can usually only get about 75 litres into the tank.

That's a pretty generous safety margin. But I guess it needs to be when you're possibly a long call from a petrol station.

·
Registered
300GD, 190E
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My sentiments exactly...

Do you guys fill to the very brim, or do you leave some air in the fill pipe?

I notice there's some gurgling going on, as diesel seems to be filling pipes as the tank nears the full point.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,198 Posts
Fill it to the brim

87-300GD - 4/17/2006 1:56 PM

My sentiments exactly...

Do you guys fill to the very brim, or do you leave some air in the fill pipe?

I notice there's some gurgling going on, as diesel seems to be filling pipes as the tank nears the full point.
I fill all the way to the lip. Unlike gasoline vehicles there are no emissions controls to flood.

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
Can't say I noticed any gurgling.

I used to fill until the gas pump clicked off and then just added a bit till I got a nice even number to pay.... but that was before I just started filling half a tank and then using veggie oil the rest of the way.

·
Registered
280 ge and 300gd
201 Posts
Remember that when you turn the key you are releasing power to a rheostat which is the arm or float giving you the fuel level.Power then activates acalibrated scale your gauge.
If the float doesnt sink all the way to the bottom it may bring on the light but the indicated level may show more than what is in the tank or be available to suck on.

50 miles from home thats a worry, drain the tank and see whats there in reality and where the effective fuel level to be usefull really is.

Dave

·
Registered
300GD, 190E
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I imagine this has been addressed elsewhere in this forum, but can I (without modifying my 300GD) add any kind of veggie oil to my diesel tank, assuming I'm half full with diesel?

Are some kinds of oil (e.g., corn, olive, raps) better than other?

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,198 Posts
87-300GD - 4/19/2006 12:48 PM

I imagine this has been addressed elsewhere in this forum, but can I (without modifying my 300GD) add any kind of veggie oil to my diesel tank, assuming I'm half full with diesel?

Are some kinds of oil (e.g., corn, olive, raps) better than other?
Yes, add as much as you like, up to 50% or so. It is still cold out in Heidelberg, so you might want to be sure the mixture isn't going to gel in the tank and lines. I use soybean oil, mearly because it is easy for me to get and cheaper than diesel.

·
Registered
1994 G350DT one Serval
289 Posts
I have found that the best solution to the light coming on is I carry a very secure and flame/explosion proof tank with 2 gallons of fuel in it. may not get you to far but may be the differance between driving to a station and walking.
A second thing is I ALWAYS keep a small fuel container in every car I own, empty but beats having to beg for one at the station.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts