Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
Does anyone have access to, or a good source for used engine parts? I need a few parts to do my motor swap and I'd like to keep the money "in the family" so to speak, as well as save some cash in the end vs ordering from MB.

I need motor mount brackets (the aluminum parts that bolt to the engine and rest on the rubber mounts) for the early style (round rubber donut) engine mounts.

I also need a flywheel and clutch assembly.

Luckilly all these parts are still good part numbers from MB, so I could get them there if need be. But like I said, I'd rather spread the weath around here if I can.

I'll finish out getting actual part numbers I'm certain I can use later today, but if anyone knows of a potential source for used early 300GD engine parts, I'd sure appreciate it.

All the best,

-Dave

·
Registered
'82 300GD TD (Sold), '02 G500, '09 B200
485 Posts
Dave,

Trying to do the same swap, I can tell you that you don't want to order the flywheel from MB - 400 Euros or so. I *think* you can use your existing clutch and flywheel from the 280, or perhaps I am mistaken and am thinking about the 280 sedan engine. I do know that the 240 or 300 diesel engine parts work (I believe you need a 230mm clutch).

Make sure your rad is in good shape or get it re-cored and try to get the oil cooler off the donor car, it should be bigger.

Steve

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Dave,

I started by buying a used 300TD to use the engine in my 230GE .
The cost of adjusting oil pan and buying engine mounts made it more feasible to buy a 617 engine from a G.
So I now have a 617 sedan engine as a spare.
I think it uses same clutch as 280E... and flywheel might therefore be the same!
If you want my extra flywheel you can get it for the cost of shipping...

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flywheel parts

As far as I can see, part numbers don't match up for the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, or throwout bearing.

I have the following:
Part----------280GE pn--------300GD pn
Flywheel------110.030.08.05---617.030.01.05
Pressure plt.-003.250.47.04---003.250.79(or 91).04
Driven plt.---006.250.88.03---009.250.23(or 24).03
Throwout brg.-000.250.69.15---000.250.51(or 52).15

I'm not knowledgable enough to know if the parts will swap over, so I don't have anything to go on other than the part numbers. If you have any better information I'd be glad to have it.

But in any case YES PLEASE! I'd like very much to have that flywheel from the 617. I'll send you a PM with my address and you can send me yours, or a convenient way to wire funds. Do you have a PayPal account?

-Dave

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rad work

The guy who did Brian T's conversion said he had the rad re-cored with a 5-core staggered arangement. I might go that way if I can find the funds in the budget. He wants about $400 to recore the rad. I might be able to find the same job for less elsewhere, but I'm tempted to take his word for the core requirement (5 row) since he's done lots of these conversions in mogs, and we've all heard that the 617A makes more heat than the stock G rad can deal with.

Oil cooler that's with the engine looks to be same sq in, but different shape. In any case, it's coming with the motor. The guy I'm getting the motor from has basically given me free access to the car for anything I want, as well as the beefier oil pan from the later 617.951 (my motor is 617.950, no EGR and lower cam lift than the later motors).

Anyhoo, I'm rambling. Keep in touch with any pertinent thoughts. I'm of course keeping "copius notse" (sp?) and will publish all at the end. It seems like this is a total no-brainer conversion for anyone that's already got a NA 617 (like a weekend job), and not that hard for even my M110 truck.

That is, as the Beatles said, "...with a little help from my friends..." [:)]

-Dave

·
Registered
'82 300 GD Cab STT ('02 G270CDi/'85 300 GD SWB)
473 Posts
RE: flywheel parts

I read in an german article on this swap on MB-G.de that the M110-flywheel will fit, althought lighter than the on OM617. A little less stable on idle but could propably help even out the turbo lag as the engine would rev up faster.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: flywheel parts

Iver460 - 3/2/2005 7:19 AM

I read in an german article on this swap on MB-G.de that the M110-flywheel will fit, althought lighter than the on OM617. A little less stable on idle but could propably help even out the turbo lag as the engine would rev up faster.
Verrrry interesting, Iver....

My thought is also that since the M110 was a higher torque engine than the 617, that the M110 clutch might be slightly better suited to the 617A than would the stock clutch from the 617. That is, if there's any real differences at all.

Hmmm.....just what I need....more possibilities to ponder. [;)] It would be pretty cool if I could re-use my old flywheel/clutch assembly, though I'm sure they'd also have some value when it comes time to sell the old motor.

Thanks for the input! I'll let you know which way I end up going.

-Dave

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
Dave, I have a pair of the alloy motor mounts you need. I think the G cluch assembly is unique to the G. I bought the parts complete through Europa and the parts cost was not too bad. If you go with a 110 flywheel you may have to go with that clutch assembly. A friend of mine can source that parts set if you need it. The disk splines to the transmission have been the same forever and I have an alignment tool you are welcome to use, a tranny input shaft! I have been out of town for a while. Email me and I'll try to help you get what you need.

-Dai

1 - 8 of 8 Posts