Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300GD SWB w/ Barn Doors
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of my exhaust mounts have rusted away from the pipe and my exhaust hung long enough that the tail pipe broke free from the muffler. The muffler is a ProFlow (don't know what that is, its not OEM obviously). The tail pipe was resting on the top of the fuel tank until today when I removed the right rear bumper and yanked it out. It rattling like no other. I have a couple options. Help me choose.

1. Re Weld all the mounts back up and get a 90 degree pipe bent from the end of the muffler facing the ground.
2. Re Weld all the mounts back up and re weld the existing tail pipe back in.
3. Re Weld al the mounts back up and purchase a new tail pipe .

I removed the dangling tail pipe today and the current state of the muffler is causing the pipe further up to smack the drivetrain. It's also louder, smells more, and is making a huge black mess all over the fuel tank and anything around that area.

·
Registered
'81 300GD Cabrio, '78 450 SEL 6.9 Rocketship, Rover HSE
704 Posts
OPTION 4 : Take it to any exhaust shop and have it run new from the manifold back for $300. IMO the only way to go. You'll be in and out in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OPTION 4 : Take it to any exhaust shop and have it run new from the manifold back for $300. IMO the only way to go. You'll be in and out in 30 minutes.
241.97 to make a new tail pipe, that's without a new muffler, and new piece from headers. They estimated 2 hours of labor. I am thinking of just having the old tail pipe welded back in and replacing all the hangers. found a brand new tail pipe for 300GD on ebay for 34 Euro and new muffler for 99 euro

·
Registered
'81 300GD Cabrio, '78 450 SEL 6.9 Rocketship, Rover HSE
704 Posts
Dude you're getting raped. I just had my whole exhaust replaced, from the turbo back, for $300 cash. Find an independent shop OR drive it here, pick up your bullbar, and take the G to Bayne's Exhaust and Mike Bayne will hook it up for cashola.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude you're getting raped. I just had my whole exhaust replaced, from the turbo back, for $300 cash. Find an independent shop OR drive it here, pick up your bullbar, and take the G to Bayne's Exhaust and Mike Bayne will hook it up for cashola.
Mike,

I just looked at their website, that sounds pretty good. The only time I have free next week is on a Wednesday. Maybe they can do it in an afternoon and I'll catch you after you get off work and we can grab something to eat or whatever. I'm going to check what's going on around here and see if I can go do that. I'll call you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts