Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me advice on a 1989 300e. My friend is willing to part with her. It has 148,000 miles, great condition. He's asking 2500 for her. I'm partial to W126, but my son looking to buy the car. Thanks..

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
Your son has good taste! Usually the young guys want a pickup.

Just check the car out like any other used car... make sure everything is functional and that it rides okay.

Weak points on these engines are the head gasket leaking at the passenger rear corner and upper timing cover seal leaking at the front of the engine.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
That price is more than fair for a 89'!!
Don't be put off by the mileage. I have seen
many healthy M103's with over 200K miles at the
dealership. My 89' has 219K miles and has not had
any of the ussual problems. Original headgasket, radiator and most everything else. I did replace the transmission @90K miles only because it was neglected by my auntie. You will be happy but just take Kestas advice and give it a thorough going over and a road test. Also check the underside carefully with a flashlight. Good luck

·
Registered
00 W202, 04 955 S, 08 e90
1,704 Posts
Unless the car needs some major maintenance. i'd say that is a steal. Mine has 214K miles and running strong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just corrected by my son on the actual milege. It's 178,000, and yes it's in good shape exceptfor a leak near the gasket. The engine will need a good steam cleaning (oil caked on engine). I'm concern about the leak and may past on this deal. My friend tells me that all 300E's have this problem. Is this true?

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
You got it baby !!!
I've owned a 1990 300ce, 1987 190e, 1988 300e & now I own a 1987 260e. They all have needed a head gasket !

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
they all leak.no worries..oil is cheap;-)

Typically one would hold off on replacing the head gasket until the clyinder head is due.

Jonathan

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
Where is the leak - front or back? The front one is a piece of cake to repair. The rear one would need a new head gasket. Considering the mileage, a head rebuild would be prudent at the same time ('while you're there'), and cost maybe an extra $300.

Don't let these repairs put you off from buying a well-kept car. These issues are considered acceptable as part of owning a 300E. I would jump at the chance of buying this car if I needed one.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Anything below 3k is a good deal for that car, even if the head gasket needs to be re-done. I just had mine redone along with a valve job, and sure it cost me some change. However, the normal price for these cars with similar mileage is pretty close to $5k (and those ones usually need a new head gasket too). So, if you buy the car AND fix the head, your total cost is probably going to be close to blue book. And, like I said, most of these cars offered at blue book still need this repair. You're saving probably $1,500k or so.

Note, too, that the new gasket they would use to replace it with is more durable and will last longer. Hence, you'll probably never have to replace it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts