Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this locally and wanted some opinions. It's a 1987 300E with a genuine AMG body kit; it does have squared exhaust (seemingly AMG), but the pipes go through a notch in the body kit. Can't seem to find any rear valances that look like that in the AMG world. No engine pics, but with those wheels I have to believe it's just a body kit.

I'm going to look at the car tomorrow, then again on Monday when the dealer is open. I think I've seen this exact car in my neighborhood - I tried to catch up to him about two months ago to get a closer look, but I lost him. Can't be too many w124s with the ducktail in my hood.

Is the kit real AMG for a 1987?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have nothing constructive to add, but I just wanted to say that is a REALLY clean W124! Really clean and straight, paint still has lots of nice shine to it. A nice set of wheels and a slight drop is all that thing needs.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
that doesn't look like an AMG rear valance cut-away. The owner might have done it to allow the AMG exhaust some clearance as the stock tips are bent slightly down, below the valance, essentially making a cut-away unnecessary. But then again I could be wrong.

Here's a pic to aid my claim:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it's only got 66k miles on it - that could give some credence to it being a possible "real" AMG. Hope to find out by Monday.

·
Registered
243 Posts
side skirts and rear bumper look a little off...
The side skirts seem to protrude out where they meet the wheel wells. Doesn't look quite right to me but I've never seen the first generation kit in person. The lack of driving lamps is period correct.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The kit looks right. There was a wagon with the same kit in my area last year. It was at my indy that I use so I had a good chance to look it over. The side skirt do stick out like in your example.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Going off the look of the real kit on mine, the front looks about right. The side skirts look a little off but not to bad and the rear just looks like its been cut away. If you notice the ductail has been seemed into the body so it definately has some body work done but looks like just for looks. I think the only way you could say it was real if you look under and see the stamping. I believe the side skirt stamps are near the front. The bumper I believe is on the lip. Does it say AMG on the from spoiler?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It almost seems like there was 3 versions of the kits for 124's. The pictures at the beginning, then what we know as gen1 (parshman2 picture) and gen 2.

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
There are several different sideskirt designs according to the different catalog pics that I have. They are also of different materials.

One of the 5 AMG/NA franchise, from what I could determine when trying to find out why I was looking at 126 skirts on a 124 told me that the Texas franchise would pull pieces and "cut and paste" to get a more unique look. The work was very near seamless.

And POS, we await your appraisal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts