Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finding a good mechanic can be like finding a good lawyer!

As a new owner of an old Benz I am looking for advice before throwing more new parts at the issue!

PROBLEM - Hard cold start. Once hot the engine re starts no problem. High fuel consumption 10m/pg ahhhhhhhhh!

OTHER SYMPTOMS - The car is responsive except going uphill when it seems to really struggle and loose power. (Fuel pump?)

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
W124 Moderator
12,604 Posts
Travels

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your question. If you would, give us a bit of information about any service history you know of with the car. Miles etc. None of us are fans of throwing parts at cars, but some things are going to be necessary to get you going in the most dependable way. Cap, rotor, filters, fluids, fuses should all be changed unless you have verification that they are fresh. Once a baseline is established, it will be fairly simple to get the car performing the way it was intended. Are you a DIY type owner or are you going to depend on an independent shop?

Let us know and again, welcome

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
682 Posts
First guess would be OVP relay...but definitely replace the factory fuses first, the contacts get all chalky white with corrosion.

·
W124 Moderator
12,604 Posts
First guess would be OVP relay...but definitely replace the factory fuses first, the contacts get all chalky white with corrosion.
The OVP won't have an impact on hard starts, sluggish performance and hi gas consumption.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
992 Posts
Check small nylon pipe from the rear of fuel pressure regulator . Any fuel exiting this small nylon pipe will exit in to the valve cover.Thats one problem ,the other could be a faulty cold start injector or 7 th injector. If its in open mode fuel will enter the manifold and get burnt up along what other fuel thats in there. This is only to give you some idea and the reason that the kpg is high Fuel pump might be ready to pack in but some models have twin pumps . But as Jayare said in his post above all the electrical parts must be in tip top condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts