Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing a head gasket on an '89 300e. I mistakenly didn't fully inspect the timing marks before I took the head off. No big deal I thought I would look up instructions on timing, but the marks look totally different than what I have.

On alldata and WIS this is what I have to work with:

Cam timing

Crank timing

And these are the marks that I have:

Cam timing:

Crank timing

I can't find the marks that the guides talk about so I think these are the marks I need to use. Maybe somebody has personal experience and can help me out? It would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,400 Posts
Looks to me like you did not fully rotate the engine through clockwise.

Once you find OT, disconnect the camshaft timing chain sprocket and align the marks on the cam. You should then be able to reconnect the chain and attach the sprocket back.

NOTE: You MUST remove the timing chain tensioner before starting this. IF you did not do this you may have damaged the chain, chain guides, sprockets, etc. Always be sure to disassemble the chain tensioner before threading the tensioner body only back into the engine block. Then insert plunger, spring and related items back into the ternsioner body. And depending on the miles on the car, a new tensioner is highly recommended.

Are your chain guides in good shape without channeling and/or scouring???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks to me like you did not fully rotate the engine through clockwise.

Once you find OT, disconnect the camshaft timing chain sprocket and align the marks on the cam. You should then be able to reconnect the chain and attach the sprocket back.

NOTE: You MUST remove the timing chain tensioner before starting this. IF you did not do this you may have damaged the chain, chain guides, sprockets, etc. Always be sure to disassemble the chain tensioner before threading the tensioner body only back into the engine block. Then insert plunger, spring and related items back into the ternsioner body. And depending on the miles on the car, a new tensioner is highly recommended.

Are your chain guides in good shape without channeling and/or scouring???
I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence.

The #1 cylinder was at TDC when I took the picture of the crank marking and the cam marking lines still line up when I turn the engine over twice, so I think I'm lined up right.

Yes I removed the tensioner before I did anything to adjust the chain and I am replacing it with a new one.

Chain guides are good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I found the markings. They're notches in the balancer, but they don't have numbers. I'm not sure which one to time it off of. One notch is right when the #1 piston hits TDC and the next notch is right before it starts to go down. In between the piston doesn't move.

Anybody know which mark is the one I should time it off of or have a picture of a balancer from an 89 300e?

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts