Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VW GTI
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am thinking about having my 1990 300E totally repainted the original arctic white. What will I expect to throw down for a "decent" job. I'm not talking show quality here people, something that will bring back that new look...[8D]

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
I would guess a minimum of $5000 for a decent job.
My father had his 300TE resprayed for $8500
The dealer wanted approx. $10K for a factory job.
If your paint is not that bad, it is recommended by many to attempt to salvage/bring back to life the factory paint. It is extremely difficult to duplicate the factory finish for it's gloss and smoothness. More often than not people regret ever stripping off the factory paint because the "new" paint looks nothing like the original. You could go to earl sheib and have your whole car, bumpers, tailpipe and mouldings all resprayed for about $400 What a deal!

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Derek...Im in the Redwood camp on trying to revitalize your paint before stripping that priceless stock paint job. I recently bought a 91 300e w/ 110k miles and it had been maintained very well but never buffed, just hand waxed. Im very particular in the paint arena and decided to completely wet sand my paint w/ 2000 grit 3M paper, compound w/ a cotton pad to remove all the thousands of hairline scratches from the paper, go over twice w/ a 3M perfect it glaze and follow up by a hand wax to seal the paint. The result was astonishing as the paint feels smooth as showroom, depth of color is a mile deep and the finish looks perminately wet! The down side is that if your not familiar w/ sanding/buffing i wouldnt recommend any of this as it took me about 9-10 hours and im very experienced. Much damage can occur if one is not skilled here. What color is your car?

·
Registered
2007 VW GTI
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the 300E is white, PURE white, not sure of the technical color. One question about the sanding, etc...do body shops do that kind of thing? Auto detailing places? What would they charge?

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
redwood - 5/3/2005 7:47 PM

If your paint is not that bad, it is recommended by many to attempt to salvage/bring back to life the factory paint. It is extremely difficult to duplicate the factory finish for it's gloss and smoothness. More often than not people regret ever stripping off the factory paint because the "new" paint looks nothing like the original. You could go to earl sheib and have your whole car, bumpers, tailpipe and mouldings all resprayed for about $400 What a deal!
hehe 8 G's for a paint job... cmon man be serious do you have any idea how much 8 thousand dollars is. dont be fooled by the mechanics.Especially Mercedes Benz shops they are all crooks. An arctic white paint job should run you no more than 3 thousand dollars with your paint and shit...GO to a private shop and get an estimate I guarantee you will save at least 5 g's.

good luck

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
I just got my car back from the painter! I am not sure what happened but the paint on the roof and the trunk went belly up! I think a combo of the clear coat and acid rain! It looked like overspray but wasn't. I went to the fella who painted the lower clading on my car to see if we could do something to help out the roof and trunk. He said get me the paint and I will fix it! Went down to my local Napa who handles PPG paint and he put his color matcher or what ever you call it on the sail panel and mixed me up a qt.!! $101 [:(][:(] 2 days later and $200 I had a very nice painted roof and trunk. I did notice a few specks of dust did manage to get into the paint. He told me if wanted to I should take some 2000 grit and wet sand down the roof and trunk and then I had some 3m swirl glaze and a buffer and buffed it out! Man I could not believe how nice it shined up! Smooth as silk and that mile deep shine! Best $300 I have spent so far !! The car looks like new now!!![;)][;)][;)]

Smokie

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
DerekJL - 5/3/2005 8:18 PM

the 300E is white, PURE white, not sure of the technical color. One question about the sanding, etc...do body shops do that kind of thing? Auto detailing places? What would they charge?
Derek...Yes, body shops do wet sanding and lots of it! Some paints dont even need sanding, just a three step, compound,glaze,seal(wax). Average hourly @ auto body shops is around $38-42/hr here in the midwest. I would say your looking at $200-600 dependent on what above steps need to be done. A professional wet sanding basically re-surfaces your cars clearcoat. And on MB vehicles, we have a nice thick coating as our paint jobs are some of the finest in the world! I spent 10 hours on mine and wouldnt have asked for anything less than $600+ as its a totally different car now! Can you post a picture and where are you located?

·
Registered
2007 VW GTI
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
something you wont see from the pics..i dont know how do explain it but it seems as if dirty water from somewhere, dont know where, has seaped its way into the paint or something, and looks like its dripping down off of the paint, its hard to explain. its like my paint isnt completely white there are "dirty water marks" in it, what is this?

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Derek...My 300e mentioned above had these water marks you are citing as well. These would be acid rain marks which can be common on an older, even newer car!
The rain marks you are talking about, are they drip marks down the sides of your fenders kinda thing like you can see streaking? My dump trucks sit out in my yard all year long and develop streaks from where water rolls off the top. From what you have described and what your picture shows, i would suspect all you would need is a decent buffing in 3 steps. Stubborn scratches can be wet sanded individually. How many miles on the clock, how was/is the car stored as its resting, is it left in the sun alot, do you use cheap machine washes to wash the car, does it show signs of ever being polished/waxed before? For a good experienced detailer/body man to do a great job expect to pay $200 or more to bring your finish back.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
I wanted to buy that car of eBay. Guess you got it. [:D]

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
I agree with vili1982!
If you're going to paint your car for $8000.00, you better expect it to be flawless! All cars are flawless from the factory brand new. I don't care what anybody says, you can never get that quality back! That's alot of money. Even $5000 is alot too.
My 16v was in awful condition. It had so much rust, that I had to replace both quarters, both fenders. The paint job with parts cost me $2500. & this guy did a great job!
Just my opinion!
Spiros

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
I agree with vili1982!
If you're going to paint your car for $8000.00, you better expect it to be flawless! All cars are flawless from the factory brand new. I don't care what anybody says, you can never get that quality back! That's alot of money. Even $5000 is alot too.
My 1987 190 16v was in awful condition. It had so much rust, that I had to replace both quarters, both fenders. The paint job with parts cost me $2500. & this guy did a great job!
Just my opinion!
Spiros

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 VW GTI
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes i think that is what it is then...rain deposits, it is also visible on the windshield aswell, almost like permanent water marks or "drips", hopefully i can find a decent shop that can help me out...

·
Registered
89 300E 195000
124 Posts
vili1982 - 5/3/2005 9:44 PM

redwood - 5/3/2005 7:47 PM

hehe 8 G's for a paint job... cmon man be serious do you have any idea how much 8 thousand dollars is. dont be fooled by the mechanics.Especially Mercedes Benz shops they are all crooks. An arctic white paint job should run you no more than 3 thousand dollars with your paint and shit...GO to a private shop and get an estimate I guarantee you will save at least 5 g's.

good luck
if you can get out for 3 to 5 thousand dollars for a complete paint job then that isnt a bad price(assuming you have a sunroof, which increases the price significantly because of the labor) and dont forget about all of the trim parts that are on the car that need to come off then get put back on after the paint. also, if you are getting a quote for 8 to 10 thousand dollars they had better remove EVERYTHING and i mean everything... the engine, radiator, and various other pieces that are covering up the org paint because for 8 to 10 thousand dollars they should paint everything that was painted at the factory.
but for a basic paint job... 3 to 5 thousand dollars isnt that bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts