Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300e 6cyl 3.0
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have just purchased this 1989 300E all of a sudden this car will not stay on. i will start it and one second later it will die. the car won't stay on. one guy said it's the fuel pump, but if it was would the car turn over at all? the the guy i got it from said he replaced the fuel injectors. please i need advice fast
killah

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
More likely the fuel pump relay. Also check your OVP relay - this is another problem part.

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi killah.

What you describe can be consistent with a defective pump. Measuring the feeder pressure can verify that. Check fuel distributor.

Does the car have an alarm or any kind of immobilizer? Check the condition of the ignition switch behind the ignition key.

Enough gas? Water in fuel? Bursting injector? Holes in vacuum hoses? Clogged fuel filter? Distributor and rotor? Plugs and wires? Overflow from cold start valve? Blocked air filter? Block in exhaust?

Does it start again straight away after stopping? When it's quiet, do you hear the fizz sound made by the pump for a second or two after turning on the ignition? Have you tried cranking, while holding a plug in the wire against ground to check spark?

Have you sworn in German while cranking? I recommend Scheisse, verdammt müll auto, and keine mehr gut oel.

Finally, when really desperate, I say, "Ve have vayz to make you go." That usually does the trick.

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
1989 300e 6cyl 3.0
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank guys for the help but i have went and got a fuel distributor it cost me almost $1200usd. it's still won't do the job. this week i plan to take it to a shop (something i hate to do) because they rip you off. sometimes i like to go in there and know what i am talking about. because if they figure out that you have no knowlage about cars they will screw you over.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
wow 1200?? oh and the thing with the shop.. if they really screw you over with the money, i seriously wouldn't go there t=anymore. there are several shops around in which they are honest and do a job well done. myself i take my car out to arcadia ( i live in west covina ) and i say its worth the drive.

·
Registered
1989 300e 6cyl 3.0
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well that how it is in new york. everything cost too much. but when i turn my key i hear the noise from the rear end of my car. but it's on the driver side. it's like a buzzing noise. when i start it shuts right off. it don't even stay on for a 1 sec. but i can keep turning the key and keep trying and it will do the same thing. so i don't think it's the fuel pump but will find out this week if any of you guys have anymore ideas bring them on[:0]

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Seriously though the fuel Distributer rarely goes bad. Pull the fuel pump relay and take a look at it. I bet thats your problem. You could also have a clogged fuel filter.

·
Registered
1989 300e 6cyl 3.0
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you guys but i have found the problem it is a fuel injector cost is only $120 bucks to fix i guess thats is not to bad. but thank a lot people
killah

1 - 8 of 8 Posts