Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 91 300e w/ 110,000 miles has an issue starting. To say its hard starting would be an understatement. I turn on key and while engine cranks over, it may briefly show a start for .5 to 1 second then go dead. I then reset the key a few times to the 2nd key position to prime the pumps? and let er rip and some more of the above. I can turn the key on, crank the motor over and floof the accelerator and it will start after approx 10 or more seconds. Any quess on the issue to remedy? bc.

p.s.. The car has been maintained almost to excess having all major service intervals completed, all new injectors at 90k miles, head gasket, wires,Battery,cap/rotor,plugs, motor mounts, water pump. No electrical work from the records dating back to 1997. Almost seems fuel pressure related. Car runs perfect once started with no issues and idles at 600-700rpm. Starting issue is both when hot or cold motor. Does above on every start.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
try the accumulator, had VERY simialr issues on my 88300TE.. Everything is back in order now..:)

Let me know if I can help out!

Jonathan

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Johnathon! What can you get me the accumulator for? Where is it located on this car (91 300e)

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
hello jonathan,

i have a 300e that has the same problems you have described. is it possible to test an accumulator??

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, yes, but the equipment used to test it is more then the part :p

So if you can find someone w/ a set of CIS E gauges that knows how to use them you can see what's what.

You might also try cycling your key a few times before starting, see if that helps.

Jonathan

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
thanks for the info, BTW i am only a few miles north of you. north georgia mountains. i have a spare part off a parts car that i may try. would this part cause it to be extremely hard to start in the morning, and difficult to start when warm? or are we talking 2 issues? i have already replaced the cold start valve from a "good" engine and still same problems. thanks

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
hey jhodg5ck ,

you were right, installed extra accumulator this morning. problem solved. thanks...

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Hey there Mtn,
Glad it worked out for you:) Should you ever be in the Atlanta are give a ring, 404 805 1357

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
looks like i crowed to soon. tried to start up today after drive, turned over a solid 8 seconds before starting. i did try something else though. i cycled the switch on/off 5 times waiting 5 seconds between cycles. and noticed engine started right up. this car has a brand new fuel filter. it seems as though the fuel is leaking down after sitting. is there a check valve somewhere in the fuel system? or could it be leaking injectors? the reason i don,t think it is the injectors is that when it does start it is not flooding etc. furthermore, you would not think that the fuel could leak back to tank past the pumps. i am stumped. finally, can anyone describe how the accumulator works? why isn't the fuel pumps enough pressure for the injectors? i hate to say this, but i was thinking today while driving in my Z71. as smart as german engineering is why couldn't they make a fuel system as reliable as my old truck? it is 13 years old with 170k. has never failed me. never. any thoughts what to check/ how to check/ please advise.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, are the injectors original? If stepping on the gas pedal fixes things your injectors are leaking down causing on overly rich situation.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
i am sure the injectors are original. but, i also took 6 out of a "good" engine and still the same problems. this morning i cycled the key several times before starting and the cold start was not near as bad as normal. i suspect either accumulator or some sort of check valve. does check valve exist on this car? flooring it does not help when starting. actually makes it take longer to start.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
if cycling the key helps and stepping on the gas pedal does not it still points to a bad accumulator..

Jonathan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts