Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I continually read here about what I consider horror stories about needed repairs to 300E's. Things like tranny problems, head problems etc etc. In a lot of the cases these cars have done less than 150,000K's.

I have a 1991 300E 24V which has done 295,000K's. I am the second owner and the original owner gave me complete books and receipts for the period he owned the car.

The cars history shows and my Merc mechanic confirms the tranny has never been out of the car, the head has never been off the engine and there are no oil leaks. Oil usage is 1 litre per 10,000K's.

Repairs to date:

Radiator and viscous fan and thermostat have been replaced

Engine mounts replaced

Tie rod ends replaced.

Possible near term issues:

Cruise control is starting to drop out at times.

Fan belt idler pully is noisy.

A noisy valve lifter at first start up in the morning (noise lasts about 2 seconds)

Not bad for nearly 17 years and 295,000K's eh?

300E 24V........:thumbsup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
when i hear about problems like trans rebuild or engine died in w124 is not cars fault its the owners my is 1988 so 20 years only leak that im having is on crank shaft case and the seal is 3$ and the things like leaks what do u expect from a 20 year old seals to hold forever and the lifter noise in the morning is nothing new if u take care of it it will last ur life time i got friend with cars that are 2005 and up and guess what they are already having trans rebuilds and engine rebuilds while my 20 year old car has non

·
Registered
269 Posts
Most of these guys are in MILES and it seems that in Australia they use kilometres, just like in Canada. So those guys with 150k's that you see actually have about 240,000km.
Cheers. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I hear about problems like trans rebuild or engine died in w124 is not cars fault, its the owners. My *car* is *a* 1988, so 20 years, only leak that I'm having is on crank shaft case and the seal is 3$ and the things like leaks. What do u expect from a 20 year old seals, to hold forever? And the lifter noise in the morning is nothing new, if u take care of it it will last ur life time. I got friend with cars that are 2005 and up and guess what, they are already having trans rebuilds and engine rebuilds while my 20 year old car has none
Dude, I'm sorry but you need to start using proper punctuation. No offense buddy, but doesn't that look so much better?? Not trying to be a d*ck, but it makes my brain hurt. It's like one huge run-on sentence! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts