Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked many times on here but is there a way i could put a more powerful engine into my 90' 300e. I know my engine is 103.983
but still wondering what kind i could install.

Thanks

·
W124 Moderator
12,601 Posts
You could install any of the M104 motors and gain approx. 50HP. However, the cost of doing so would most likely exceed the dollars you have invested in the car. There are also a few twin turbo kits out there for M103's, but again, you're looking at $4000 + to do the installation correctly. These cars were pretty well sorted out when they left the building. Quite simply, there isn't anything that can just be "installed" on the engines like many of the pacific rim cars have.

For the money, you'll be much better off finding a good 400E/E420 or saving a wad of cash for any 500E/E500. The 400E/E420's will deliver about 75% of the performance of a 500E for about 1/3 the cost or less.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
971 Posts
not sure about the 1/3 of cost, I have a 400E and most parts cost roughly the same, though fenders are different and cost A LOT of money. I'd say 400E is 80% the performance, 50% the cost and 10% of image of 500E :)

I'd go with turbo kit, there is not really much more you can do that will make THE difference. M104 engines are crap compared to the old M103 - more problems, more electronical gremlins, higher price and you'd really have to swap half of the car to do it right...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts