Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to buy a nice, affordable, easy on the spine convertible. I think the 300E may be for me. Are these good cars? (Are they better than the newer CLKs). They only made them 3 years I think. Anything to look for on potential purchase? Any help is much appriciated. Jim Fletcher, Bowie MD[:)]

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
They are actually E320 models with the M104 engine imported 93-95 to the US.

Common problems:

- Engine wiring harness... replace if original... $600.
- Head gasket... never outlasts the life of the car... $1200-$2000, mostly labor.
- Upper timing cover gasket leaks... needs to be replaced every so often.
- EGR tube clogs every 50K... sets a Code 5.
- Electric head rests... a $16 part is prone to breakage.
- The volume control on the radio will drive you buggy!

All these problems are fixable on an otherwise fine automobile.

I don't know if they're better than the CLK convertibles.

·
Registered
E320 Coupe
209 Posts
so, how can you FIX the volume control???? mine is unresponsive, or when I turn it down the volume goes UP so loud it splits your ears off, and then you can't turn it down. this definitely does NOT impress the chicks, so I usually drive music-less.

also, how can I fix the tape deck... it's stuck. becker 1462, I believe.

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
Hey Scoop!Do yourself a favor and put in a nice after mkt unit! I put one of these guys in my E420 and its the cats ass!!I also had no problems with amps or the speakers! used orig speakers in the car![;)][;)][;)]

Smokie

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]
I just bought a 1993 300CE Cabriolet. Pix are posted in the W124 Gallery. The 300CE was only made for one year, then it was changed slightly, and renamed the E320 Cabriolet, which went through 1995, I think. I haven't the car long enough to give you an informed opinion. Nice, so far.

Cheers!
Dave

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nice to know that I am not alone

I have read other complaints, but this is the first time I read about the crazy volume control. It certainly is a wacky feature on my car. I really do hate the fact that it sometimes goes WAY UP IN VOLUME when you try to turn it down. I think the radio is OK otherwise. It isn’t awesome, but I think it is good enough for me. I don’t need to have my car vibrate with super bass and I don’t need to have the car next to me hear what I am listening to.

At home, I am a little more particular about the stereo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for the list of things to look for. This may be the car for me![:)]

·
Registered
E320 Coupe
209 Posts
like a thief in the night

we're all gonna come rob you.

geez! that looks like it's ready to shoot bullets at me rather than sound. nice. (14 remotes, 10 speakers... ;^)

·
Registered
E320 Coupe
209 Posts
the cat's ass?????? holy mackrel... is that good? lol

smokiesman - 3/31/2005 11:22 PM

Hey Scoop!Do yourself a favor and put in a nice after mkt unit! I put one of these guys in my E420 and its the cats ass!!I also had no problems with amps or the speakers! used orig speakers in the car![;)][;)][;)]

Smokie
meeeeeooooooow! I'm going to go and run specs on that unit so I can get a better look. I'm looking for somehting that has a tape deck too. got this mp3 player that is shaped like a cassette-- called Duo. the neatest thing ever. I guess it's the cat's a$$ too...

·
Registered
570 Posts
RE: like a thief in the night

scoopcoupe - 4/1/2005 6:33 PM

we're all gonna come rob you.

geez! that looks like it's ready to shoot bullets at me rather than sound. nice. (14 remotes, 10 speakers... ;^)
My dog might kill you if you try to rob us, except he is a Golden Retriever so he might just welcome you with a lick and a wag of his tail.

If you sit on the table, my wife pulls the trigger and shoots you to death. By the way, I aimed (optimized speaker placement) with a laser pointer, so I am sure my wife won’t miss you when she shoots.

I decided that for me it was actually easier to use multiple simple remotes for specific functions, rather than trying to flip through things with one awesome remote.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts