Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 E500 and 1993 300e
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the wheel setup for the original 300e amg hammer? front and rear offset, wheel and tire sizes etc.?. I know there are many experts here who can help.

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,240 Posts
8JX17 et28 215/45-17

·
Registered
2004 E500 and 1993 300e
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front and rear offsets are not the same, I would like to know the values for both. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,240 Posts
The front and rear offsets are not the same, I would like to know the values for both. Thanks.
Unless you're referring to one of the very few wide body W124 examples, they are 28mm at all four corners.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2004 E500 and 1993 300e
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am asking because I recently installed et30 on the rear of a 300e W124 and it is sticking out too much. I wanted it to look like the Hammer with the wheel tucked in therefore I was thinking that the Hammer must be between et 35 and 40. The front of mine is et 35 and it is ok so I only have issue with the rear.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,982 Posts
what do Hammer Wheels look like

I am asking because I recently installed et30 on the rear of a 300e W124 and it is sticking out too much. I wanted it to look like the Hammer with the wheel tucked in therefore I was thinking that the Hammer must be between et 35 and 40. The front of mine is et 35 and it is ok so I only have issue with the rear.
If you think the wheels you are selling in another thread are Hammer wheels, you are most likely wrong.

The specs of the wheels you are selling are more like C36 or C43 wheels, sometimes called Mono II's or Aero II's.

Hammer wheels are called Aero I's, and they look like my avatar.

Hammers had modified wheel wells, thats why the low ET (28) worked on them. Your 300E would need arch mods for Hammers wheels to fit. Fender spacers and rolled arches are well documented, do a search.

·
Registered
2004 E500 and 1993 300e
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the wheels are not hammers, I am selling them because they stick out too much on the rear. I wanted the fitment to look like the hammer. If the offset was between 35 and 40 the wheels would go completely under the wells.

I was trying to send you a pic but cant attach it.

·
Registered
2004 E500 and 1993 300e
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you think it would be ok to machine off a few mm of the hub face of the rim to increase the offset?

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,982 Posts
rearwheel size

The wheel width is key, for 8.5 inch width you must haveet30.

You are correct abot et35. To 40, but you need the 7.5wide wheels.

The best fit are 4 front wheels of that type

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,982 Posts
wheel sizes

Are you saying the 8.5 width are not available with 35 or 40 offset?
that is correct, and even if you find that et in an 8.5 inch width, they still wouldn't fit right.

more likely than not, they would rub on the inside badly

As you widena wheel the et needs to become numerically lower in order to keep the wheel centered in the wheel well. that is why the et is 30 on this wheel.

either do wheel arch and fender mods to use the 8.5's, or pick up 2 more front wheels.

Also do not machine the rear wheels to change the et, sell them and buy 2 front wheels

·
Registered
2004 E500 and 1993 300e
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you saying that the hub face is always in the center of the rim? Therefore when the offset is reduced or increased the difference is shared evenly on the inside and the outside? If that is so I learned something from you today, it makes sense. Thanks.

I was looking at another set with et34 in the rear, it will not make any visible difference based on the info you gave me. I gues I have to look for the front.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,982 Posts
et

Are you saying that the hub face is always in the center of the rim? Therefore when the offset is reduced or increased the difference is shared evenly on the inside and the outside? If that is so I learned something from you today, it makes sense. Thanks.

I was looking at another set with et34 in the rear, it will not make any visible difference based on the info you gave me. I gues I have to look for the front.
the hub face isnt necessarily centered, but the center of the wheel width is, but you are getting the idea. if the hub face were centered with the wheels centerline, (width), , the et would be zero

cars are designed for a range of et, wheel widths, and tire sizes. since 124s were designed for 6.5 wheels originally, the wheel well has limitations, at 8.5 inches your at the extreme limit for rears. there are amg mods to allow that size and et, but its easier to buy 2 more front wheels.

·
Registered
2004 E500 and 1993 300e
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aero I, you obviously have an academic understanding of the wheels, thanks for the info. I searched for articles on the amg hammer but they are so limited. I would like to know what they did to the rear fenders apart from rolling the lips. If know of any comprehensive article on the subject please send me the link. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,982 Posts
AMG wheel PDF

Aero I, you obviously have an academic understanding of the wheels, thanks for the info. I searched for articles on the amg hammer but they are so limited. I would like to know what they did to the rear fenders apart from rolling the lips. If know of any comprehensive article on the subject please send me the link. Thanks.
there is agreat amg wheel pdf I found here in the 124 fourm, search for it there.

I have it downoaded, but I'm on vac with a iPad, else I would have attached it here.

If I were you I'd just have the Rear wheels arches rolled first, the article shows how, and I would bet most body shops know what to do anyway.

Also you should move further technical discussions to the 124 forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts