Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,039 Posts
Sounds like one car has memory for the driver seat, and the other does not, in which case the wiring/switch/connectors are different.

You can swap the leather cushion with heaters from the 94 base/motors, to your existing 91 base/motors. That is what I had to do on my 87. Works great. If necessary you will need to slide the bottom cushion forward/back in order to access the screws which hold the cushion to the base, if so, you have to apply voltage directly to the motor leads.

More photos here:
Index of /images/W124_seats

·
Registered
1992 300TE-24 - 338k kms; 1992 300CE-24; 1992 300E-24 (parts only); 1993 ce200 ; 1992 300E (manual)
428 Posts
Yep. Go back and pull the wiring loom and switch. The connection at the fuse box is the same, but the memory switch is different and there are less wires. I did it on my coupe; standard electric to memory. Couple of hours work pull and to swap wires. Hardest part is getting the loom out at the bottom of the a pillar. I did a post on it last year. Pull the plug covers off and pull through makes it easier. Cheers.

·
Registered
1991 300E 2.6
6 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys,

I went the route of pulling the loom and switch out of the donor car, I was having such a horrible time taking the seats apart the other day that I decided it'd save me some sanity to just pull the wiring.

It was relatively simple pulling it out, although I can see how feeding the wires back through the pillar and into the door is going to be a blast and feeding the wire to the fuse box will be interesting, but overall I'm just happy to have a solution to this connector issue. The interior of the car is in pieces and I just want to finish this project, put everything back together and be done with it. Not to mention my check engine light has magically come on now :crying

·
Registered
1992 300TE-24 - 338k kms; 1992 300CE-24; 1992 300E-24 (parts only); 1993 ce200 ; 1992 300E (manual)
428 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys,

I went the route of pulling the loom and switch out of the donor car, I was having such a horrible time taking the seats apart the other day that I decided it'd save me some sanity to just pull the wiring.

It was relatively simple pulling it out, although I can see how feeding the wires back through the pillar and into the door is going to be a blast and feeding the wire to the fuse box will be interesting, but overall I'm just happy to have a solution to this connector issue. The interior of the car is in pieces and I just want to finish this project, put everything back together and be done with it. Not to mention my check engine light has magically come on now :crying
Have a look at my post on what I did earlier this year. It's a 30 min job. Feed up from the bottom of the a pillar and have a trace (I used some old vacuum line) and do the old push pull trick. You'll need to unclipped the bellows too between the door, but once you have that trace into the door cavity you're generally away. You need to pull the plug covers off too. And lots of tape to hold it and the flexible wiring cover on place.

Reasonably satisfying once done too. Done two cars now my end. Converted the te to electric and heated seats. Swapped a memory seat into the coupe.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 coupe, midnight blue, lowered and enhanced, 17" wheels
395 Posts
Great info and thanks to all who have contributed.

I am doing this installation now. Souced OEM seat heaters from an upholsterer who installed it in my new seat covers, I am modifying the wood to accept the switches and have the special hinges/clips from a different Benz, I bought the relay on ebay and bought all the wiring and other connectors new from the dealer which was surprisingly affordable and still available.

I want to try and wire this all up as the OEM would, and want to know where does the wiring for the passenger side cross the center console? does it cross over midway by where the seats are or in front of where the center floor console is? Do I need to remover the floor console to do this correctly?

Any pictures?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Update:

I finally got some photos of the standard (non-Sport) leathers with the heating elements sewn in. See below. The part numbers for the elements do not exist in the EPC and are not on the MBNA price list. Not sure if they could be obtained anywhere.

On a related note, I tested mine and found that both the bottom cushion and backrest outer bolster have dead heaters. The elements are wired with the left+right bolsters in series, which is in parallel with the center. What this means is, if either bolster (left OR right) is defective, neither side bolster will heat... but the center will still work ok. The foam pads could likely be sliced open like the W210 to try and find the broken wire, but ugh, what a ton of work. Would be nice to be able to buy new elements and have them sewn in, but that isn't looking very likely.

Found these on eBay Germany... not sure what the -13-98 fits, i.e. if it is for the bottom cushion or backrest, and if it is for leather, Tex, or fabric... etc. I need the -09-98 to fix my backrest outer bolster. I didn't get photos, but the bottom cushion bolster heaters are -05-98 and -06-98. The part number for the center heating elements must be on the leather side where it's not visible. (??)

Do you have the part number for the large plug at the end of the seat heaters that plugs into the main harness? Mine were severed and I need to replace them both. Thanks.

·
Registered
'94 E420 and '86 420 SEL.
57 Posts
You do have to take up the center console (surprisingly easy after you've done it a dozen times, I think I've got it down to 10 minutes). After taking up the carpeting it will be pretty obvious where the wires go. My recollection is that the wires go about half way along the console. Sorry, I have no pics, but I'll bet you can find some if you look around. But like I say, once you've got the carpets out it will be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You do have to take up the center console (surprisingly easy after you've done it a dozen times, I think I've got it down to 10 minutes). After taking up the carpeting it will be pretty obvious where the wires go. My recollection is that the wires go about half way along the console. Sorry, I have no pics, but I'll bet you can find some if you look around. But like I say, once you've got the carpets out it will be pretty obvious.
Thanks.

So you're are saying that you do need to remove the main carpeting however? I was hoping to snake the wires through without having to do that.

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,039 Posts
Thanks.

So you're are saying that you do need to remove the main carpeting however? I was hoping to snake the wires through without having to do that.
Yes. You MUST remove the main carpet, and entire center console. No way you can snake wires anywhere.

It's really not as hard as it sounds... remove both front seats, and remove the center console, and all the wiring drops into place. It is time consuming, but not difficult:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey, Dave. Are those Jehnert inserts on your doors? I was thinking about those, but they're kind of pricey for an old car. How are they?

FYI: I didn't completely removed the carpeting. I all but removed it and just pulled things out of the way enough to get where I was going. Dave's picture is pretty good. I do know that you'll have to remove the bottom bit of the center pillar cover (driver's side), as well as the door sill covers (note: they're sturdier than they look, but be as gentle as you can) and the seat belts. Having said that, it may be just as easy (or easier) just to remove the carpet altogether.

Greg

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looks pretty nightmarish. If it were a newer car I would not have any issues, anytime I start taking things apart in this old Benz I can be sure something will be break or get damaged. Thanks for that picture I was looking for something just like that to see how things are routed.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,139 Posts
It's the rarer plastic stuff that kills ya....cause it's gonna break for the most part. I'd only take something like that on if I had access to a couple of donors or some good sources.

Quite a job just to have your ass warmed in the winter.....depends on your winter I guess. Pick your battles...is it worth this?

Kevin

·
Registered
57 Posts
The work looks scarier than it is. Like I said, getting the seat covers on and off was by far the worst of it (perhaps because I had no experience with this), the rest is straight forward. If you're planning on keeping the car for any length of time your butt will thank you. It's not terribly cold where I live, but I really like having it in the winter. Definitely worth it for me, but figure on a solid weekend, maybe two if you don't have any help. Most of the plastic stuff is pretty durable, but be very careful with the plastic bits on the sides of the seats, they are absurdly expensive and somewhat delicate.

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,039 Posts
Hey, Dave. Are those Jehnert inserts on your doors? I was thinking about those, but they're kind of pricey for an old car. How are they?
Greg, for a 1986-1990 W124, it's a huge upgrade. Not cheap, but worth the effort IMO. For a 1991-1995 model with the separate amplifiers in the trunk (1432 or 1492 systems), it's less of an upgrade... still an improvement, but the ROI is not as good.

Having said that, it may be just as easy (or easier) just to remove the carpet altogether.
Exactly. It's not that much work to pull the seats/carpet/console and it will make the job 100x easier. And, you can properly route all the wires into the factory wire trays where they belong.

Looks pretty nightmarish.
It's not as bad as it looks, really!

It's the rarer plastic stuff that kills ya....cause it's gonna break for the most part. I'd only take something like that on if I had access to a couple of donors or some good sources.
You have to be REALLY careful with removing some of the plastic parts, especially some of the seat trim plastics. With extreme care, most can be R&R'd without breaking the tabs. Practice on a junkyard car first. Some color plastics are NLA so if you break one, you'll have to find a good used one (not easy) or paint/dye a new one to the correct color.

Quite a job just to have your ass warmed in the winter.....depends on your winter I guess. Pick your battles...is it worth this?
Depends where you live, and if your car is parked outside in winter. We use the bun warmers about 7-8 months of the year. Before having a car with them, I thought it was a frivolous luxury. Now, we would not buy a car without them.

The work looks scarier than it is. Like I said, getting the seat covers on and off was by far the worst of it (perhaps because I had no experience with this), the rest is straight forward. If you're planning on keeping the car for any length of time your butt will thank you.
Better to buy complete heated seats (with good heating elements!), so you don't have to mess with the leather cover R&R, which is definitely NOT fun. When I did the upgrade on my blue car in the photo, I installed heated 500E seats, the cushions bolt right up to the 300D motor/frame. Didn't have to mess with the leathers at all.

It's not terribly cold where I live, but I really like having it in the winter. Definitely worth it for me, but figure on a solid weekend, maybe two if you don't have any help. Most of the plastic stuff is pretty durable, but be very careful with the plastic bits on the sides of the seats, they are absurdly expensive and somewhat delicate.
Yup, I agree 100% with all of that.

:sawzall:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yeah taking apart the seats was one of the most challenging automotive things I have ever done (more so because its a coupe with tons of more plastic cladding and no instruction anywhere how to remove them) and I have worked on and rebuilt just about every square inch of a car (engine and differentials included). I managed to break some tabs, tried to source new ones from dealer, NLA. So luckily I found some real effective plastic epoxy by Permatex that so far works amazingly well, it actually welds the plastic, as is evident by how it slightly melts the joining surfaces making for a much stronger bond. I still have not reassembled my seats but routing the heater wires through those tight hinge covers is going to be interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dave,

OK, I'll pass on the Jehnert's unless I win the lottery. Just plopped down some cash to upgrade the stereo with one of those GROM units so that I can get bluetooth and mp3s in the car. I'm underwhelmed so far.

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon 137k
221 Posts
removing the interior wasn't really all that difficult. Just worrying about plastic pieces. I wish I came upon this thread earlier though. The seats I swapped have the heated element and I would have taken a little more time to part it out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Can some take a peek at the 4 pole male connector for the seat heaters and read to me the part number? I believe one part of it is 9604/23726. Its the part the plugs into the main harness. Thanks.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts