Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320, 'Lord Vader'
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everybody from the frigid North Texas area. We're suffering today on this day before the Christmas holidays with 67 degree weather which got me thinking: If it gets much colder, say down to 60 I might need to warm up a bit. To accomplish that, I wondered if it was possible to add headed seating to my '90 300e 2.6. My wife's '00 Volvo has it, which is about the only good thing about her car but I digress.

I think the heated seats option was available for the '90 300e series, so would it be a matter of chasing down parts? If so, anyone know where to start? I would guess that a larger alternator would be needed but after that I got no clue. All I know is it's brrrr cold!

Merry Christmas everybody!

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,092 Posts
In the MB WIS system (werkstattinformationssystem) there is under group 91.30 a document labeled 91.09 "Installation Instructions for Special Equipment - Seat Heater for Front Seats" which is illustrated and very comprehensive.

It lists SA 56154 which is the controlling document for this system and the number used to look up parts for this retrofit.

Using these numbers, perhaps your dealer or independent can check parts availability

·
Registered
2001 E320, 'Lord Vader'
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I'll pull up the doc and get started. It's a few months from getting very cold here, even then it's not super cold but it's sure nice to have heated seats.

I'll post a follow-up once I've gotten everything done.

Regards,
Walter

·
Registered
1997 S500, 2005 S500
171 Posts
In the MB WIS system (werkstattinformationssystem) there is under group 91.30 a document labeled 91.09 "Installation Instructions for Special Equipment - Seat Heater for Front Seats" which is illustrated and very comprehensive.

It lists SA 56154 which is the controlling document for this system and the number used to look up parts for this retrofit.

Does anyone have access to this document or post it...I would like to perform this upgrade

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,454 Posts
My 88 wagon has the heated seats. Oddly, the only other 124 I've seen with them was another 88 wagon that I passed on.
Installing the heated seats would be a nasty job. There are heating grids installed in both the backrest and cushion parts of the front seats. You'd have to disassemble the seats to install these parts. Of course you could use heated seats from a donor car if you could find an interior match.
Then there's the wiring. IIRC there's a relay or controller under the carpeting in front of each seat. The wiring looks pretty beefy.
Beyond that you'd be installing wiring for the switches inthe console and up under the dash into the underhood fuse box.
And you're uncomfortable in Dallas? LOL It's about 25F here in SE PA right now.

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
The heating elements are stitched into the padding of the seats so any shifting of the pads is minimized in the stock seats. You would really need to patch into the harness a couple of places to make this happen.

An inexpensive, and VERY viable alternative is to buy aftermarket seat heating pads. They only require a 12v power source and you to take the seat covers off and affix the pads. I would strongly suggest paying the extra bucks to have an auto upholstery shop do the fitment as they have the correct tools to stretch the leather over the bolsters and put everything together correctly. That way you don't have wrinkles in the leather, it is as tight as it was prior to the removal and you don't lose skin trying to form leather over the padding and frame [experience says that without the right upholstery tools, you WILL bleed].

You end up with a very small button that pops up between the seat and console which turns the seat heaters on and off. A much more simple solution in my opinion than trying to retrofit and splice into the wiring, get a new console wood piece, new buttons, etc.

·
Registered
1992 W124 300ce sportline , {1992 W201 2.6 (totalled) }
395 Posts
Howdy everybody from the frigid North Texas area. We're suffering today on this day before the Christmas holidays with 67 degree weather which got me thinking: If it gets much colder, say down to 60 I might need to warm up a bit. To accomplish that, I wondered if it was possible to add headed seating to my '90 300e 2.6. My wife's '00 Volvo has it, which is about the only good thing about her car but I digress.

I think the heated seats option was available for the '90 300e series, so would it be a matter of chasing down parts? If so, anyone know where to start? I would guess that a larger alternator would be needed but after that I got no clue. All I know is it's brrrr cold!

Merry Christmas everybody!
67 and u are cold ... we have 26 F here in Chicago...:)

·
Registered
1997 S500, 2005 S500
171 Posts
I have the 95 e320 heated seats in the car now but want to make them operational. Just wanted to know if anyone had compiled a parts list needed to complete the project...( including MB part numbers)

Also wanted to know if anyone had access to the WIS program and pull up (group 91.30 a document labeled 91.09 "Installation Instructions for Special Equipment - Seat Heater for Front Seats")

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,039 Posts
I added heated seats to my 1987 300D this summer. You don't need the WIS document, it's pretty straightforward. What you need is:

1) A pair of heated seats (used)
2) The main & secondary wire harnesses (new from dealer)
3) Relay (used)
4) Left & right console switches (new or used)
5) Console wood with extra holes (new or used)

Note that depending on year of your car, and the year of the donor seats, and if each has memory or not... you may need to swap bases (i.e., install the heated seat frames & cushions on your existing base/motor assembly.) I had to do this on my car. The 86-90 motor controllers are different than 91-95, ditto for with & without memory.

Then, you need to remove all the seats from the car, remove the main floor carpet, loosen the center console, and wire it all up. I live in an area with cold winters and the upgrade was worth it. My other two 124's came with heated seats from the factory. BTW, the parts I mentioned to buy used are the ones which are too expensive new. The ones marked "new" are not worth trying to source used, unless you can access a Pick-n-Pull car to get them from. It's too much work to remove the wire harness from a used car, most salvage yards will want too much $$ due to the labor. Photos of the whole project are at this link:

Index of /images/W124_seats

Here's some of the important ones:

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,421 Posts
This is an old and great thread any pictures on how it all goes in?

·
Registered
1988 300CE Midnight Blue/Palomino; 1984 300D Orient Red/Palomino; 1994 E500 Black/Gray
247 Posts
This is an old and great thread any pictures on how it all goes in?
I have assembled my kit to undertake this project on my 88 300CE and as soon as the stitches in my hand come out I'm putting in the wiring. I took apart two and a half JY cars trying to get a main harness as those are now NLA. I ended up looking for a used one as the junkyard ones were horribly trashed and found you can buy one from Socal Mercedes Parts for a hundred bucks. The one I bought is in pretty good shape.

It's really conceptually easy. You take out the front seats, the driver's side back seat (or whole thing if not a coupe) the carpet on the entire driver's side, the console, and the kick panels under the steering wheel. There will be a set of plastic wireing panel containers along the driver's edge of the car. Open those and insert the main wiring harness. The end with the large plug (see dave's pics) goes through the hole in the sheet metal into the cavity under the back seat. The relay gets attached to the sheet metal back there and the large plug goes into the relay. At the front of the driver's seat base area, there is another plastic channel going toward the hump. All of the wiring save the driver's seat connection, the power connection, and the auxiliary plug go into the cross channel there. Under the console there is a post with several ground wires already attached under a nut. The brown wires on the harness get added to that post. The switches stay in that area as well. The passenger seat connection goes over the hump and joins the seat wiring connections on that side.

The power end of the harness stayes in the longitudinal channel to the front of the footwell. On the outside part of the well is the auxiliary plug terminal and that plug goes in there. The power plug goes through the firewall.

The power feed harness gets cinnected to the bottom of the fuse box, to the fusebox power feed under the relays. The connection is to the round connection. The pins go into the fuse box which you can mount anywhere on an accessible bolt, and the black plug then goes down along the firewall to meet the main harness plug and they connect.

I'm recovering my front seats with new leather at an upholstery shop and the shop will be insterting the "tines" of the heating pads into the pleats of the new covers as I did not find any suitable replacement seats with heat.

I do have to point out that this is going to be much harder than it sounds. Removing the carpet and the kick panels without a sawzall is a challenge, and the clips on the wiring channels look to be simultaneously impossible to open without force and easy to break. Getting the large plug for the relay through the sheet metal hole into the rear seat compartment looks pretty challenging, too. I'm a recovering lawyer, not a trimmer or a mechanic, so I expect my patience to be sorely tested.

When I do mine, I will take some pictures.

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,421 Posts
I wish I could find some decent seats for mine, I am sure the wiring would be easy from the stealership.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
S124 relay location?

Do any of you wagon owners with factory heated seats, know where MB located the main heater relay (the big yellow one). On the sedans it's somewhere under the rear seat, so I assume the wagons are somewhat similar. I'd like to get started running the wiring under my carpet, but want to keep the relay in an accessible location for future service. Pics would be helpful if ya got em.

Thanks,
Casey

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,454 Posts
Both TEs i pulled heated seats from (90 and 92) had the relay mounted to the same bracket that holds the power window relay module and that thing is under the middle row seat cushion, drivers side. Bad pic but its the only one I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 G500, 1997 G300, 1983 280GE
314 Posts
I tried to pull the heating pads out of a deteriorated seat in the junk yard today. the way it is sewn in would have taken me an hour or more. I did manage to get the part numbers off the pads and have included a pic here.

I also pulled the yellow relay, the switches and the wiring stubs and connectors beneath the seats to build my own harness. I now realize that I did not get the small fuse box out of the engine compartment, maybe next week. These are out of a 91 300E.

Upper label on the left, lower on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
260E Sportline
4 Posts
Hello everybody. This is already an old topic and so far it has been very useful to me. I fitted heated Sportline seats in my '90 260e Sportline since my old seat was worn. I bought all the parts which are shown on the pictures as seen in a previous post by gsxr.

Unfortunately I have a problem fitting the fuseholder: one part on the picture seem to be missing since the ''fuse holder socket'' cant be connected to the ''fuse holder bracket''. Hopefully somebody can let me know which part I still need to buy. Thank you in advance for your tips!

My Car :) :

·
Registered
1992 300TE-24 - 338k kms; 1992 300CE-24; 1992 300E-24 (parts only); 1993 ce200 ; 1992 300E (manual)
428 Posts

Using these numbers, perhaps your dealer or independent can check parts availability
Does anybody have a copy of this document? i'm about to undertake the install (the front seats are being recovered at the moment - rather the seat covers are been changed to the new electric seats from the old manual ones). I've got the loom, switches etc (factory, but no pads, so was looking to use a generic heating pad too; anyone got any tips on using those? i've got spare looms / wires to i can do a factory looking install on the eletrics.

I'll post pictures too once it gets done.

cheers.

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,039 Posts
The standard (non-Sport) seats have the heating elements sewn into the leather covers. You cannot replace the elements separately. The elements come with new leathers from Mercedes, which is pretty stupid, IMO (check the cost of new leathers and you'll see what I mean). That's why I said back in post #9 that if you want to add heaters, you need to obtain a set of heated seats to swap in.

Using generic heating pads, sorry, can't help there. No idea what the resistance or wattage is on the aftermarket stuff, how well it will transfer heat, if it will be even, etc. The factory setup heats up the side bolsters on both the bottom cushion and backrest. Not sure if you'd be able to get anything aftermarket to get that function.

:sawzall:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts