Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes Benz 300E 2.8L & 1984 Mercedes Benz 300SD Turbo Diesel
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to tune up my W124 last week, it's been running rough at idle and actually stalls every once in a while (usually when U-turning or making sharp lefts for some strange reason). I took out the first spark plug and noticed coolant had gotten to it, same with the others. I checked my oil dipstick and it does not look milky or strange to me but I snapped a pic and am including it here in case anyone would like to see it. So I'm guessing the valve cover needs to be replaced and should be replaced before throwing the new Bosch plugs in but wanted to get a second opinion. Could it be the head gasket as well? If so, I don't think I'm gonna bother.

Pics are here:
ImageShack® - xdjordanx's Profile Page

I added one of the front side of the engine to show what the valve cover area looks like for possible leak diagnosis.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Valve cover gasket is needed. Good idea to give the engine a good steam clean before you endeavour to do as much.

If your engine was misfiring, and given their relatively low cost, I'd replace the wires along with the plugs.

Jonathan

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,408 Posts
That leak looks like it might be coming from the timing cover area and/or crankshaft seal and the leak is being spread by the air coming from the fan clutch.

Any signs of oil getting onto the serpentiine belt???

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
You are just guessing until you give the engine a clean-up, as has been suggested. Only then will you discover where the source of the leak is.

If it is just the valve cover leaking, it is a diy job for a spare afternoon...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, I'm gonna have the engine steam cleaned and I'll check the serpentine belt when I get home. I ordered new wires for the spark plugs as well. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes, keeping my fingers crossed that it's just the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
17,408 Posts
Be sure to replace the 3 coil-to-plug boots as well since your engine only has 3 traditional spark plug wires.

I would also suggest you replace the spark plug with the proper non-resistor solid copper core type while you're in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be sure to replace the 3 coil-to-plug boots as well since your engine only has 3 traditional spark plug wires.

I would also suggest you replace the spark plug with the proper non-resistor solid copper core type while you're in there.

Thanks. Are these the coil-to-plug boots you're talking about:

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

I got Bosch F8DC4 plugs:
Copper; Standard Electrode; OE Plug
Pregapped for normal usage.

·
Registered
17,408 Posts
Yep, those are the right ones.

Since you're using Bosch plugs, be sure to cut off the crushable gasket before installing the plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts