Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls. Speacial hello to Jono :)
I tried to rev a little the other day (to test my high-flow cat, no resonator and magnaflow muffler) while it was nice and warm of course. It will not rev over 3500rpms. Any suggestions to why it does not?

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
Hey guys and girls. Speacial hello to Jono :)
I tried to rev a little the other day (to test my high-flow cat, no resonator and magnaflow muffler) while it was nice and warm of course. It will not rev over 3500rpms. Any suggestions to why it does not?
It's designed that way as there is no rational reason to rev any engine to the redline while in park or neutral !!!

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,542 Posts
I can rev higher than 3.5k in park....is that a M104 change?

·
Registered
93' W124 E36 AMG ; 71' Cadillac Eldorado ; 07' S211 280 CDI
1,012 Posts
It's normal in M104. It won't rev higher in P and N.

Put it in 2 and accelerate throughout the rev-band ;)

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,778 Posts
This "park" thing you all speak is foreign to me, but my m104 can rev to 7.5k on command.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Yup. :)

I just can't figure why I can rev to 7.5k when I have a 7k redline. I can even hit 8k occasionally:thumbsup:
Why would you rev your engine that high to begin with?

The E36 coupe only had a 6400 rpm redline...

My CLK63 BS is redlined at 7200 rpm

Please post a pic of your C124 tach....
You must have something very rare and special if your tach reads to 8000 rpm and you can rev your M104-24V that high !!

Sounds like another "you can fit a W124 Brabus muffler onto a S124 " tall tale !!!

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,778 Posts
Why would you rev your engine that high to begin with?

The E36 coupe only had a 6400 rpm redline...

My CLK63 BS is redlined at 7200 rpm

Please post a pic of your C124 tach....
You must have something very rare and special if your tach reads to 8000 rpm and you can rev your M104-24V that high !!

Sounds like another "you can fit a W124 Brabus muffler onto a S124 " tall tale !!!
What the hell does a CLK have to do with a W124 redline?

I have a normal 7k redline tach. Nothing special, it's a normal CIS M104 tach.

edit: Would have been reasonable of me to mention, that this happened as soon as I swapped to a 5 speed with a lightened flywheel.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
What the hell does a CLK have to do with a W124 redline?

I have a normal 7k redline tach. Nothing special, it's a normal CIS M104 tach.

My response was because:

I just can't figure why I can rev to 7.5k when I have a 7k redline. I can even hit 8k occasionally
You have a 7K max reading tach, but you fail to realize that the M104-12V engine isn't "redlined" at 7K....
If I recall your tach redline band appears at 6400rpm and the tach max is 7000 rpm...

So is the real answer "you can't figure it out" because it's not very true?

How does one read 7.5K-8K on a 7K tach dial ????

I mention the CLK63 BS because you're claiming a 7K redline on your M104-12V..

Get your facts straight !!!

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,778 Posts
My response was because:

You have a 7K max reading tach, but you fail to realize that the M104-12V engine isn't "redlined" at 7K....
If I recall your tach redline band appears at 6400rpm and the tach max is 7000 rpm...

So is the real answer "you can't figure it out" because it's not very true?

How does one read 7.5K-8K on a 7K tach dial ????

I mention the CLK63 BS because you're claiming a 7K redline on your M104-12V..

Get your facts straight !!!

Don't get your panties in a bunch and get YOUR facts straight. By the way, the M104 has 24v but you know that because you know everything. Have a nice day! :)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Don't get your panties in a bunch and get YOUR facts straight. By the way, the M104 has 24v but you know that because you know everything. Have a nice day! :)

Apologies for my typo....

That's why I asked about the tach...

You said you had the standard 7K tach then you post a pic of a Euro gauge cluster with a non standard AMG tach dial.

I know far from everything..never claimed to..
Sorry if your alpha personality was challenged...

So you own the 1991 300CE-24 AMG ( VIN WDB1240511B611996 ) imported from Japan with the AMG guage cluster you pictured ?

http://www.dwaycar.com/1991 300CE.html

I thought you had a 1992...?

Stop fronting, at least you could post pix of your car's gauge panel..
You must be very young...LOL

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,778 Posts

You said you had the standard 7K tach then you post a pic of a Euro gauge cluster with a non standard AMG tach dial.

So you own the 1991 300CE-24 AMG ( VIN WDB1240511B611996 ) imported from Japan with the AMG guage cluster you pictured ?

1991 Mercedes-Benz 300CE

Would you like to get your facts straight before I post? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,778 Posts

1991 Mercedes-Benz 300CE

You know what, forget it, I'll post anyway. :)

Let's get edumacated! :teach:

Here's a picture of my instrument panel that I took, just for you.

According to you, my tachometer is a non standard AMG tach, which is blatantly false. Any MB M104.980 engine, which is the engine found in 90-92 300CE, 300SL, 300SEL, have a 7k rpm redline. Ask anybody, search ebay, search craigslist, you'll find the same tach found in any MB with this engine. If you read what I've written, without the clouded over-analyzing vision that you seem to be reading with, I said I have a tach with a 7k rpm redline. That's a completely different tach than the 7k rpm (total) tach that you speak of.

So, if you still hold the belief that my tachometer is a non standard AMG tach then I'm flattered, thank you.
If you think I have an "alpha personality" that is getting challenged, please take a seat in your CLK, go for a drive and self reflect, because it seems like an all too familiar story. :rolleyes:

In fact, I am very young and the way I was raised has taught me to show utmost respect for my elders, which you seem to be. So, with that deep in my mind, I will not retort with any snarky comments relating to age like has been shown to me.

As an aside, rarely do I ever put my car through its paces up to redline. My powerband, I've found, reaches peak power right around 6.5k rpm and that's where I shift.

Hopefully, with all this explained, you'll come to the realization that you've made a mistake. I just hope, instead of jumping straight to conclusion, you'll take into account that not everyone has the same knowledge and experience, which creates a sort of checks and balances. Let's use that checks and balances instead of petty posting. I don't post to aggravate or challenge anyone, I post my experiences because it's interesting. In no way shape or form do I have a negative opinion about you (RBYCC), in fact, I find your widebody build and other endeavors inspiring.

Again, have a nice day. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts