Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. One morning, like any other, I tried starting the car, got it turning, but it never started. The battery and starter are alright, but it still won't start. I just wanted to know if there's anything fuse-wise or fuel system-wise that might be preventing it from starting. Glow plugs or fuel pump maybe? Anything else? Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
it sounds like the glow plugs....<br> <br> is the starter turning over fine?<br> <br> do u have a manual pre glow, or is it on a timer?<br> <br> there are a coupple of ways u can start it wf the glow plug fuse or timer has packed it in.<br> <br> get back to me and we'll sort it out.<br> <br> louis

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: 300D won't start

Hi Louis,<br> <br> As far as I can tell the starter is turning over, and the engine is turning. The preglow is on a timer (1980 car). Could you also tell me the location of the glow plug fuse? Thanks.<br> <br> Johnny

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the glow plug indicator light in the dash lighting up? If not, either the relay (located on the left front fender wall) is bad or there is a bad connection (follow the wires to the glow plugs) or one or more glow plugs are bad. If it is lighting up, it could still be a glow plug problem. I think the light only monitors the #1 (forwardmost) plug. So one or more other glow plugs could be bad. They cost less than $15 each. You can take them out and see if they glow when you put a current across them, but two of them take forever to remove unless you remove the fuel lines first. For that amount of effort, you may as well replace them. Glow plug problems are the most likely cause in these cars. There could be fuel problems. If you have a clear prefilter, look to see if fuel is pumping through the system. If it is not, check to see if the prefilter or the cannister filter is blocked. There are other things you can check, but I would bet its a glow plug problem.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is one other poss, the fuel filter, the small one that is.<br> <br> if it is cloged that could be a prob, it would also result in power loss going up hills.<br> <br> if its the glows that have faild, it wont be alll that much to replace them. <br> <br> the fuse box for tha glows is in the centre at the back of the engine, on the wall. its a black box about the size of a box of matches.<br> <br> louis

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: 1979 300SD won't shut down

What would I look for,when this diesel engine won't respond to ignition turn-off,and how do you<br> shut one down,less ignition? Thanks,any help would<br> be appreciated! E-mail [email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

philip its best to start a new post for nrw subjects, u find the newer the post the more responce u get.<br> <br> anyway<br> <br> u find that after long drivs, fast driving, mountainous drives, hot weather or if the engine is gen running fast it may take a while or may not turn off at all.<br> <br> if u open the bonnet on the right hand side of the engine (near the small plastic filter area), its atached to the engine near the top. (easy to get to)<br> <br> a kind of button/lever, it will have a red sticker or engraved 'stop'. push it and it will cut off all fuel flow to the engine, stopping it.<br> <br> if it keeps hapening check some of the following:<br> * fuel pump<br> * mamafold or any leaks in the central locking<br> * turn down the idle speed<br> * even have the cooling fan kick in at a lower temp<br> <br> good luck<br> louis

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

There is a vacuum shutdown solenoid on the rear of the injector pump .. Yours is probably bad (leaky). When you turn the key off, the switch sends vacuum down the small rubber hose to actuate this solenoid and stop the engine.<br> <br> I had this problem .. and the solenoid had a leaky <br> diaphragm and would not pull in fully. You can make simple tests to see if there is vacuum on the hose when the switch is turned off (car running), and can also test the solenoid by using a hose and mouth vacuum.<br> <br> I would almost bet your solenoid is leaky. It is easy to remove and costs about $35. It is in the<br> Performance Products 123 Series Online Catalog.<br> <br> You're welcome .. <br> <br>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.