Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My '79 300D decided today that it will NOT cut off after I've pulled the key out of the ignition switch. My battery light stays on.

It cut off once much earlier today, after I gunned it hard once the ignition was in the off position

Right now, it has been running constantly for 2 hours, as I cannot get it off again. Gunning it no longer does it & the car is running strong though I consider this a hazard to leave it running like this.

I see no fuses that will shut off the car. I took it to Advanced auto, had a guy there loosen the battery connectors, pulled BOTH battery connectors off and the damn thing is still running.

Any and all immediate help is appreciated.

Thanks,

d2e

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
heh heh its a vacuum leak somewhere.

try pushing on the key when its in the ignition cylinder, thats what i have to do since my vacuum gremlins resurfaced=(

its an easy fix, just takes lots of time to track down where the leaks are coming from.

ill be watching this thread, as i have the same trouble!

ive heard you can blow smoke into one of the lines and see where it comes out to tell where the leaks are, which line?*gets his marlboros ready*

A

·
0 Posts
AWWW COME ON!!!!!!!!! ITS A HUGE RED LABEL ON THE LINKAGE LABELED MOTOR STOP ETC. just push this lever down, and it will cut off the fuel immediately killing the motor. its been designed with this happenning in mind. u need a new engine cut-off valve, should be cheap by german star. careful when u change it, installing it the wrong way around will caus it to dump LOTS of fuel in the motor, causing whats called a run away diesel. it will over-rev till it dies, about 30-45 seconds later, depending on ur oil, and how good it protects. (my father had this accidentally happen once when a customer was talking his ear off while trying to work, and the engine was killed before the customers eyes. luckily he was rich, so he didnt blame anyone, just ordered a new motor.(

·
Registered
1982 300sd turbo
267 Posts
Push the stop button on the throttle linkage towards air cleaner... or else you'll run outa fuel, good luck [8D] n0rt

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does the throttle linkage look like???

It makes more sense now that this is a leak, as my brakes are now working right as well. That started when this other issue began.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
I belive its diamond shaped. Its red with STOP written on it. Look in the owners manual.

·
Registered
1982 300sd turbo
267 Posts
stand leaning over engine on drivers side,,,,,,, is a paddle that fits thumb higher than the valve cover,,, push towards air cleaner,,,
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1198700 [8D] n0rt

A

·
0 Posts
yes exactly. owners manuals werent written for waste of paper. if u dont have one, i'll spell it out. middle of the valve cover, left side of vehicle. has pushrods attached. red label. flat surface where labeled. push there, downwards. till motor stops.

·
Registered
1980 300TD Estate
451 Posts
With my 1980 wagon the STOP linkage does not do anything. I press it toward the air cleaner and nothing happens. THe engine should stop...correct?, but it does not.

How long is the engine supposed to take to stop by pressing and holding the STOP linkage...I heald mine for about 10 seconds and nothings happened, the engine still was running.

Does it take a minute or so after holding this STOP linkage..or longer in order to kill the engine?

What gives?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Maybe the linkage is broken? That's the only thing I could think of. I think it should connect to the injection pump near the engine block side. There might be a small washer or lever there that could have gotten loose. A Haynes manual should tell you how it is set up.

G

·
0 Posts
IceBlue_1980_300TD - 4/5/2005 11:57 PM

With my 1980 wagon the STOP linkage does not do anything. I press it toward the air cleaner and nothing happens. THe engine should stop...correct?, but it does not.

How long is the engine supposed to take to stop by pressing and holding the STOP linkage...I heald mine for about 10 seconds and nothings happened, the engine still was running.

Does it take a minute or so after holding this STOP linkage..or longer in order to kill the engine?

What gives?
You need this.

AMSOIL300CDT - 4/5/2005 5:40 PM

u need a new engine cut-off valve, should be cheap by german star. careful when u change it, installing it the wrong way around will caus it to dump LOTS of fuel in the motor, causing whats called a run away diesel. it will over-rev till it dies, about 30-45 seconds later, depending on ur oil, and how good it protects.(
See picture.

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
d2e - 4/3/2005 8:32 PM

Hello,

My '79 300D decided today that it will NOT cut off after I've pulled the key out of the ignition switch. My battery light stays on.

It cut off once much earlier today, after I gunned it hard once the ignition was in the off position

Right now, it has been running constantly for 2 hours, as I cannot get it off again. Gunning it no longer does it & the car is running strong though I consider this a hazard to leave it running like this.

I see no fuses that will shut off the car. I took it to Advanced auto, had a guy there loosen the battery connectors, pulled BOTH battery connectors off and the damn thing is still running.

Any and all immediate help is appreciated.

Thanks,

d2e
sorry, i couldnt let this one go........

this goes to show what morons are employed at autozones, western autos, discount auto parts, etc. any (mechanic or involved in automotive business) fool knows that a diesel motor has NO ignition system, thus removing the battery will have NO effect. was just reviewing the posts again, and was like, oh my god, that figures. i HAD to say SOMETHING!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
If your electricals go bad, complain to the guy who removed your battery connections while the engine was running! I just read that it could mess the electricals & alternator. Voltage spikes and electrical surges can damage electronics.

·
Registered
1980 300TD Estate
451 Posts
Lou's W123 - 4/4/2005 10:14 PM

IceBlue_1980_300TD - 4/5/2005 11:57 PM

What gives?

You need this.

AMSOIL300CDT - 4/5/2005 5:40 PM

u need a new engine cut-off valve, should be cheap by german star. careful when u change it, installing it the wrong way around will caus it to dump LOTS of fuel in the motor, causing whats called a run away diesel. it will over-rev till it dies, about 30-45 seconds later, depending on ur oil, and how good it protects.(
See picture.

My engine shuts off properly when the key is removed, however when running WITH or without the key in the ignition the "STOP" lever does nothing but make me press it waiting for something to happen.

Not sure what do do here to fix that problem with the "STOP" lever, seems to be just the opposite..a "KEEP RUNNING AND DO NOTHING LEVER".

This is the issue I have and any tips greatly are appreciated...[:)]

G

·
0 Posts
This is the issue I have and any tips greatly are appreciated...
You most likely have oil in the vacuum
lines going to and from the ignition
switch and the shut off switch.
Try to remove them and if oil is
present, clean them.

Two possible causes are the vacuum
pump starting to go south or the
vacuum switch on the injection pump.

Louis.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
If your power brakes are not working properly your leak is most likely where the shutoff valve gets it's vacuum from. There is a main vacuum line about 10-12mm diameter running from the vacuum pump (under power steering pump) directly to the power brake booster. About halfway between the vac pump and booster there is an orifice and just before that is two vacuum lines, the one towards the front is for the shutoff valve. Good luck, I hope you find it.
When I first got my car, before I knew anything about diesels, I knocked my line off while changing the oil filter. I spent the entire rest of that day trying to figure out my problem. I didn't know that you could push the linkage in yet to shut off the engine either so I had to take the U-tube off the air cleaner and turbo and cover the turbo inlet in order to shut the car off. In the winter, when I want to let my car run for long periods, I just disconnect that hose now so I can take the key out and lock the steering wheel.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys,

I found out that my Vacuum Pump has gone bad and replacing it would be $900 with labor.

I've already purchased a more reliable ride a few days ago and will be selling my 300D. It needs work and I'm not going to put the money into it. Though I've had it only 1.5 years, it's been fun when it ran well but a hassle too. The times it broke down affected me getting to (and sometimes leaving) work and it got to a point where I couldn't drive it short distances in the state. I had to get something better and can't let a car tie me to just my local area.

Perhaps down the road I can get another old diesel in much better condition just as a Sunday car and have money to maintain it (when the pricey) parts go bad.

I want to ask, oil has been leaking like crazy this week after the vacuum pump went bad. Should I expect this to happen?

Thanks for everyone's help during my stay here. :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts